Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

86 toyota van ignition stumper

Visiting Guest

04-05-02, 04:55 AM   #1  
davidjs
86 toyota van ignition stumper

Hi!...I have fixed my own car for years, but this one has me stumped. The van stops running suddenly at random times. It has been doing this for months. When it is running, it runs fine. I have replaced the igniter, distributor cap and rotor and ignition relays so far. It did run great for about a week after replacing the cap and rotor but is back stopping randomly again. I have checked wiring and grounds, but so far haven't found anything amiss. What could be causing this?...what are the symptoms of a coil or pickup coil going bad?...could it be this or something else?...any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

david

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-05-02, 05:44 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Start by checking the links in my signature file and the information there.

Tell us when it quits if you don't have spark, fuel or air. The lack of one of those three is causing your trouble.

Visiting Guest

04-05-02, 06:26 AM   #3  
davidjs
spark problem

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your reply. It is a spark problem. I have checked it when it stops and there is no spark. after trying 30 or 40 times to start it, it eventually does restart. The last test I performed when it stopped running (yesterday) was to remove the distributor cap and check for voltage at the primary...good...then at the secondary and it was initially not sparking to ground, but after a couple of times of turning the key off and on and cranking it, it did start to spark and then after reinstalling the cap it ran good again. THis is what it has been doing for a while now...have you come across this before?

thanks again!

david

Visiting Guest

04-05-02, 06:29 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Sure, but you have to work in sequence.

This is a job for a Toyota service manual....but, again, try the links in my signature file for some ideas and service manual information. Work through the diagnostic charts there to rule out the problems.

If nothing is found in those links, pick up a service manual for your van.

You could have gotten a defective part. Need to work in order.

Search this Thread