freeze plugs

Old 04-06-02, 11:48 AM
tudorhtop
Visiting Guest
freeze plugs

I'm about to change the freeze plugs on a 1983 Chrysler NewYorker,318 auto...got one leaking bad(it's the reason I got the car from a relative for nothing!)
I know how to do it,but it's gonna be my first attempt,ever.
Any hints,tips,suggestions would greatly appreciated.(I already have a good supply of band-aids)
Also,I've heard steel or brass would be the longest lasting,but rubber would be easiest.Any comments?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-02, 12:09 PM
Billdo49er
Visiting Guest
I would definitely go with the steel or brass.I never cared for the rubber ones unless it was a temporary fix.
The thing I have found useful over the years is called Indianhead gasket maker to put around the new plugs before installing.It helps ease them in and seals afterward.It's in a little brown bottle.I have never had a come-back after this procedure.

Old 04-06-02, 12:47 PM
Thumbs up I agree totaly

I like brass plugs & permatex #1. I would use the Indian Head Gasket maker, but with all the new sealants out now, they don't carry it around here.

Permatex #1 was used on everything when I was a young Mechanic, we had to chisel the heads off of engines LOL . No fel-pro back then

In any case, Billdo49er is right on the mark, the last thing you want to have to worry about, is a loose or leaking freeze plug.

Marturo

Old 04-21-02, 05:29 AM
tudorhtop
Visiting Guest
been using Indian Head for years,but never woulda thought of it for freeze plugs.think I'll go with the permatex,though....and the brass plugs...hope there's gonna be room to move around in there

Old 04-21-02, 05:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Dorman and Motormite sell ones that have an acorn nut and expand as you tighten it.

They claim you can put it over the orginals or the broken ones without having to remove them. Of course, they will replace broken ones if you remove them.

Might try those first. Any parts store will have them.

Search this Thread