Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

3.0 V6 in a 90 dodge spirit taping

Visiting Guest

04-06-02, 12:23 PM   #1  
Negoshe8n
3.0 V6 in a 90 dodge spirit taping

I had the tappets replaced and it is still tapping. The motor has 110,000 on it. It runs very strong. I was told they have to break in first. Is that some crap or what? Is it the rockers that have to be replaced? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-06-02, 01:14 PM   #2  
Billdo49er
By tappets do you mean lifters?
If they are hydraulic they should of been oiled before assembly.
With proper adjustment they should not tap until after they are broken in.Then they may require a re-adjustment.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-07-02, 08:54 PM   #3  
I'm wondering how you had tappets replaced in a vehicle that has none. It has overhead cams. Sounds like you're getting ripped off.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 09:33 AM   #4  
rickwhoo
ohc engines do have tappets

Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 11:16 AM   #5  
spooge031
the 3.0 liter mitsubisi engine used in A LOT of chrysler products definitly has lifters(tappets and they are NOT adjustable) it sounds like you have very low oil pressure or no oil in the engine, the early versions (pre 1993) had problems with valve guides falling down (requires a valve job to properly fix) or maybe the mechanic who did the work installed the rocker shafts backwards (they are directional) I would suggest that you take the car to a GOOD chrysler dealer just to get their oponion and if the work wasn't done right get your money back from whomever did the original work

spooge031 a.s.e.master tech and 15 year chrysler/jeep/dodge tech

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-08-02, 06:09 PM   #6  
Ok, I was thinking of lifters/pushrod type setup. There are "tappets" that are recessed into the rocker arms. And they aren't adjustable, but they do rely on oiling from a small hole in the rocker shaft. If this shaft was installed incorrectly, the oiling passages won't be lined up right. That will cause the tapping, and low oil pressure will cause this too, as mentioned. Sorry I was slow to catch up to speed here.

Cough, cough...pulling foot out of mouth!
I am forgetting too many things about cars, guess I've been away from the industry too long. Carry on, and ignore my senility.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Last edited by cheese; 04-08-02 at 07:03 PM.

Search this Thread