Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

over heat

Visiting Guest

04-06-02, 04:52 PM   #1  
carlitos 1
over heat

I have a chevy S-10/95 standart, 2.2 L engine .
Problem: Over heat engine
I change thermostate,replace cloch fan, new water pump,flush radiator and replace coolant fluids and ....still OVER HEATING...
To reduce heat I turn ON heat on HI and the gauge temperature
start going down...can you please tell me the rigth thing to fix it..thank you

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-06-02, 04:57 PM   #2  
Billdo49er
Is there flow?
Also does new pump have plastic or metal blades?
How hot is it getting?
Is it boiling over or is gauge just reading hot?
How is the compression?(may be bad head gasket or cracked head)

Visiting Guest

04-06-02, 05:30 PM   #3  
carlitos 1
It has a metal blades fan
I don't let get over heat to the red signs gauge
never boiling
the compression is good
the oil pressure read high when start and drop 50% when is hot

Visiting Guest

04-06-02, 07:11 PM   #4  
Billdo49er
Next question.lol
Are you sure the gauge is accurate?

04-06-02, 10:18 PM   #5  
Bad gauge ?

Hello carlitos 1
Does your engine act like it is too hot? Is your little plastic tank, getting to much fluid from your over flow hose? Does your engine sound hot, like tinkleing noises when metel gets to hot, and cools down making noises?

If you don't have signs, other than the gauge, because you changed parts, and the gauge did not change. You could have a bad sending unit, or a bad gauge. I do wonder because, when you turn heater on high, it goes down. It may not be, bad gauge.

Find your sending unit, it may have one wire runing to it. Have a friend sit in the car with the key off. You take the wire off, and touch it to the block, and have your friend turn the key to on, not start. Ask your friend to watch the gauge and it should go right over to hot very quick.

If it does this, and you feel that your cars engine is not really getting over hot. Buy a new sending unit and put it in, then drive it to see if it works right. There are still other things that can make your car hot, like a broken impeller in your water pump.

How many miles do you have on the engine? Has anyone put a sealer into the cooling system? Is there oil in your fluid? Does your heater put out more heat than it did before? We need to know if your fluid is going around the system. Can you be careful and leave your cap off and watch to see if it is flowing? Then let us know.

Marturo

Visiting Guest

04-07-02, 07:51 AM   #6  
Billdo49er
I'm sorry, I didn't specify to check the sender ,but that goes with checking accuracy of the gauge.
It's different dealing with other techs in the field.When you ask them if the gauge is accurate they assume gauge or sender.
Sometimes I get rambling and forget I'm talking to the average joe now.

04-07-02, 04:00 PM   #7  
Is OK

When you have a half million dollar car, you are working on. A drivers life hanging, by what you do or don't do. You come to believe in team work, very quickly.

Juat think like, you were standing there with a broken right hand, on pain pills, telling younger mechanics what to do, when you feel like tossing a wrench with your left hand LOL.
We watch each others backs in here.
Marturo

Visiting Guest

04-07-02, 04:46 PM   #8  
Billdo49er
You took what I was saying out of context.
If you Poll a hundred techs on this subject you may get a hundred different answers.
They will all tell you their way works for them.Keeping this in mind as I said if it works for you than stick with it.

04-07-02, 05:09 PM   #9  
The sending unit

I'm talking about the sending unit. He might not think to check that, before blameing his gauge. That's what I ment about watching each others back. Nothing else.

We are trying to help carlitos 1 ,and his over heating problem.

Are you sure the gauge is accurate? You asked him that, I just tried to help him test the systems.

Everything OK with us now?

The reference to the half million dollar car, I was a Porsche racing tech. I broke my hand in a Motorcycle race, and had to instruct a lesser Mechanic, in a very important race, when I was out of commision. I am done with the other post, it's counter productive, when we stray away from the reason we are here. To help Do it Yourselfers.
Marturo

Visiting Guest

04-07-02, 05:13 PM   #10  
Joe_F
The radiator may have been flushed out, but still clogged inside.

That being said, I assume you had a radiator shop boil it out.

Also, as Bill said, is there good flow?

You can check the actual coolant temperature through a scan tool and then compare it to the dash gauge. This should give you an idea if the sending unit for the gauge (which on some vehicles is separate from the coolant sensor) is working or not.

A couple of possibilities.

Search this Thread