'83 Firebird makeover

Old 04-07-02, 08:14 AM
jsgrnin
Visiting Guest
'83 Firebird makeover

I am restoring an '83 firebird. It came with a 2.8 V6 and 5 spd from factory. I am installing an old style 350 bored 60 over with either a saginaw or muncie 4 spd. I will be removing the computer and making it just a "straight" motor. Im wondering whether to use a manual choke or electric for carb. And also does anyone know where I may be able to get a wiring diagram to know what I can keep or throw away as far as wiring goes? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-02, 08:58 AM
Billdo49er
Visiting Guest
The link below may help for diagrams.
I would go with the electric choke.But thats me.lol(anything I don't have to do manually)

Old 04-07-02, 09:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Bear in mind you will likely have to upgrade the rear, the cooling system, the brakes and the suspension too as they are all light duty 6 cylinder parts.

That being said, you might fare much better buying one that was a V8 already and has a blown motor. Then drop in the 8 cylinder into that. Base model F cars are cheap and hokey with the 6 banger.

That being said, an Eldelbrock or a warmed over Q-jet is likely your best bet.

It will be a lot of shoehorning and bypassing, another reason to start with a better platform.

Might try Painless Wiring for some harness kits for the computer.

Old 04-07-02, 09:12 AM
Billdo49er
Visiting Guest
It,s been done before.But you also want to be careful with emmision controls.Changing over to a emmision stripped engine may hurt you at the inspection station.
I've seen many swaps like your go bad because they couldn,t get the emmissions to pass.

Old 04-07-02, 09:18 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure. But plenty of guys have done on on the F body newsgroup and report back that to do it right, it is much easier to start with a V8 platform .

I have assisted in a few G body conversions to 350. Most times you have to dump the hokey light duty 6 cylinder parts and it LOOKS converted unless you do it right .

Old 04-07-02, 09:21 AM
jsgrnin
Visiting Guest
I do understand the whole F body base model thing. This car is my baby and I am prepared and willing to do all the changeovers. I bought an '82 TA for parts and got the rear, brakes, and suspension from that. I will be getting the cooling system separate. Thanks for thinking about all the ins and outs of the project though!