Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Head gasket or cracked head?

Super Moderator

CANADA

04-07-02, 03:21 PM   #1  
Head gasket or cracked head?

My tale of woe: ('89 Chev van with carburated 350.)

About 15 minutes into a one hour highway trip my 350 started pinging quite loudly. This engine has about 60,000 Km on a jobber rebuild, was running well and I inspected the timing chain just a short while ago.
Upon checking the engine I found several loose intake manifold bolts. I tightened them, the engine ran fine and I finished my trip. Since then I have been getting cylinder pressure in my cooling system.
I can see signs of overheating on my exh manifold and would be interested in what could be damaged.
I have just removed both heads and on a quick inspection cannot see any obvious defects in the gaskets or the heads.
I have yet to do a thorough clean-up and inspection, but am wondering what the most common fault would be.
Unless I see a problem I plan to replace head gaskets and see what happens.
Any thoughts?

By the way, I found some bolts on the intake manifold that look a little short . This may be the reason for the intake leak.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Sponsored Links

LA

04-07-02, 05:08 PM   #2  
Greg,
I don't know what these guys would do, but if I can't see a gasket problem, I would go ahead and check the heads for flat and cracks (magnafluxed) while its down. It's a real pain but you're already there with the heads off. No sense in pulling them twice!

Visiting Guest

04-07-02, 05:16 PM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with Bill. You can't tell anything by looking at a head. It takes a machinist with specialized equipment to know how to do it right in most cases.

They will also check for burned valves and other woes in the engine.

We had a guy that worked with us that had an engine rebuilt by a engine rebuilder. Turns out later on when he had cooling system issues, we had to redo the motor. They left the 1981 original valves in there and they were burned!

Search this Thread