Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1986 300zxturbo problems

Visiting Guest

04-07-02, 03:58 PM   #1  
jeff84red
1986 300zxturbo problems

I have a 1986 nissan 300zx turbo with 207k miles. Two weeks a go it was hard starting. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, plugs, cap ,rotor, wires, cylinder head temp sensor found a couple broken wires-repaired...It starts and idles but the instant the pedal is moved,it wants to stall/die out. It will idle fine with the A/C running, but touch the gas pedal, it stalls. ANy ideas??THanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-07-02, 05:19 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Check my posts and links in my signature file.

If it dies with only the A/C on, there might be a solenoid involved that kicks up the idle when it's on. On most old GM cars there is an idle stop solenoid that does this very thing. Might be part of the IAC function on this Nissan.

Visiting Guest

04-07-02, 07:26 PM   #3  
jeff84red
The A/C is part of the Nissan Manual

I out that in for information. The car idles with or without the A/C on. The problem is once you push on the throttle, it stalls.

Visiting Guest

04-07-02, 07:32 PM   #4  
Billdo49er
It may be a number of things.
Is the check engine light coming on?
What wires did you repair?
Turbo's are tricky.Is it turning freely?

Visiting Guest

04-07-02, 07:57 PM   #5  
jeff84red
Current repairs.

Car is a 1986 5 speed turbo. It ran great up to a week ago. Then one evening it would not start easily. THe Nissan shopmanual is a good source for trouble shooting. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, cylinder head temp. sensor. THis harness was replaced once for cracker wires. I found a broken wire @ the Auxillary Air valve and a couple of vacuum lines. It ran great after all the replacement parts up until Friday night. It starts and Idles, but as soon as the pedal is touched..it wants to stall. I get a good fuel pulse through the input hose through the filter up to the FPR. THe only sensor not changed is the fuel temperature which is located in the FPR. THE mass air sosor still has the copper wire in the center and glows when running. THe TVS(throttle Valve sensor) checks out.

Visiting Guest

04-07-02, 08:32 PM   #6  
Billdo49er
Sorry but without getting my hands dirty and checking it myself there is little advice I can give.
Hopefully someone else may be able to help.
But if not the best bet would be to bring it to someone who can actually get their hands in there-so to speak.

Visiting Guest

04-07-02, 11:21 PM   #7  
system
Check your timing on the timing belts.

Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 08:33 AM   #8  
jeff84red
Timing Belt

Timing belt is ok and timing is ok according to Nissan shop manual. None of this was touched during the parts replcement. It ran great after new electrical/mechanical replacements. The only other part of the puzzle is when it was parked on a hill with the nose up, it would not start. After rolling it to a flatter loatio, zoom, zoom, zoom. Fuel pump pulse is good and fuel pressure @ the filter is good.

Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 08:35 AM   #9  
Joe_F
What trouble codes if any do you get when you pull them?

Also, what does your Nissan service manual say about the fuel temperature sensor mounted in the regulator?

Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 10:45 AM   #10  
jeff84red
FAULT Codes

I get a fault code for 1. Neutral starting switch. 2. Idle positoin switch. 3. Load circuit/ECU failure. According to the Nissan manual, the FPR and the FTS. should be changed only as a unit. nor separate. The computer does not show the FTS as a failure. I did a check by unplugging the FTS-the ECCS did show a fault code. I cleared teh codes, plugged the FTS back in, reran the test, no FTS fualt. Iassume it is ok. If you can tell me I shoul dreplace the FTS, I can do it. Thanks Joe...

Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 11:25 AM   #11  
Billdo49er
I would start with a TPS.
Also the reason you have trouble starting on a hill would be the placement of the pump.While on a hill the fuel will not reach the pump.
It shouldn't be a problem with a full tank though.

Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 11:51 AM   #12  
jeff84red
Thanks

I will check it out tonight and let you know how it goes.

Visiting Guest

04-09-02, 04:43 AM   #13  
jeff84red
No luck last night guys

Adjusted the TVS(TPS) to correct position and it dies s soon as you hit the pedal. Same fault codes as before. One new piece of informatio: When I pull teh fuelpump conecetor it stalls instantaeously. I would think the puel pressure at idle would diminish after a few seconds???? But it dies as I am pulling out he connector.Mean anything new???Thanks everyone on this.

Visiting Guest

04-09-02, 05:41 AM   #14  
Joe_F
You cannot determine fuel pump fault without testing the pressure/volume with a reliable pressure gauge.

Power to the fuel pump could be being cut by you pulling the plug and that would be normal.

Does the TPS test out to spec?

These are notorious pesky and expensive cars .

Search this Thread