'99 Chrysler Sebring Odometer

Old 04-07-02, 09:54 PM
A22snoopy
Visiting Guest
'99 Chrysler Sebring Odometer

I have a '99 Sebring Convertible which was stolen & recovered. Although there was no visible damage, I recently noticed that my odometer reading is now off. I had 22,000 on it prior to the theft, and now it reads 66,666 (it is a digital odometer/mechanical speedo setup). My mechanic told me the BCM (Body Control Module) seems to have somehow shorted out, and only Chrysler can repair it using their software at a cost of about $2000!. I have found a '99 Sebring BCM & gauge pod setup from a wreck with 21,600 on it, and was wondering if a swap of the BCM would solve my dilemma, or does Chrysler "special software" indeed need to be run to reset the correct mileage? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-02, 03:21 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
It sounds as though the BCM was damaged when the car was hot-wired. You might want to check with your insurance to see if they can cover the cost of repairs.

Old 04-08-02, 03:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. That's what you have insurance for . Make them make good on the damage. Not your fault it was damaged during the theft. There are other outlets that can reprogram the BCM besides the dealer. Good indpendents have the software to do it.

The car will probably have to have a sticker put into the door jamb saying the mileage was reset with a new odometer. I have seen cars like that which were stolen recoveries. It unfortunately, will inhibit it's selling value in the future as it makes the car's history questionable .

Old 04-08-02, 12:29 PM
A22snoopy
Visiting Guest
Unfortunately, my insurance company will not cover the cost of any further repairs. The rep. and regional rep. both said that the odometer is working, and therefore, their liability ends there, mileage doesn't matter to them. I just want to find somewhere that can reset it for me, sticker or not in the door jamb. I am handy, and can handle most projects myself, but I haven't been able to find anyone who can do this for me. Period. I live in the NYC area, and if anyone knows anwhere/anyone who is capable of doing this, please let me know.

Old 04-08-02, 02:11 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Your insurance company needs a phone/call letter to the main office. It's called supplemental damage. The body shop that fixedt the vehicle should have realized the mileage was off. They did jot down the mileage, didn't they ?

That being said, I believe better aftermarket shops can handle resetting the odometer. I believe some parts stores can handle it as well through their remanufactured electronics suppliers. I believe the technology exists to do it.

Even if the BCM is bad, I can't see the thing costing 2000 bucks. Lol. I also don't see it being bad, just in need of a reprogram.

What does Chrysler's headquarters have to say about your quandry? I'd be on the blower to them asking how a simple problem is a 2000 dollar repair!