why does the fuse keep blowing on my vehicle

Old 04-08-02, 07:05 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
why does the fuse keep blowing on my vehicle

and it is the fuse for the windshield wipers i just put a new fuse in and it blew. before that the fuse lasted for a while then it blew any ideals as to what is going on here or is my wiper motor going. also the Victim here is a 1988 chevy astro van with a 4.3 motor Don,

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-02, 08:22 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Good to see you back Don...

Start by looking at the links and service manual information in my signature file.

You likely have a short in the column or a motor that is causing a grounding condition. An overload usuallly just resets the motor and shuts it down for a while.

Old 04-08-02, 08:40 AM
jd123
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb wiper problem

I don,t have a van, but I do have an 88 chevy. I,m not sure the wiring would be the same. You might get lucky, are your wiper linkages easy to turn. Take the linkage loose from the motor and see if they turn easy, if not lube the joints. If you think it is the motor itself, you might try unplugging the connector from motor, don,t let the connector touch anything just hang. Put a new fuse in, try to operate wipers. If the fuse blows agaIN, then you have a short to ground. If it doesn,t blow, then it is the motor and check the connector. I ,ve tried these tips on my car before and they work, but I,m not sure the wiring is the same on yours. If it is the wiper motor, you may find a cheap one at the salvage yard that will work. As far as the wiring, at the least you need one of those cheap manuals, to trace the wiring circuit. I,m sure you don,t like somebody telling you to get a manual, but without a wiring diagram, it is hard to track anything down.

Old 04-08-02, 08:44 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
jd123 thanks for the help. but if it is a short how do i find out where it is and how do i fix it. i'll try maybe a new motor from autozone who knows. Don,

Old 04-08-02, 11:08 AM
Billdo49er
Visiting Guest
If you do have a short just follow the hot wire from the motor.Chances are if this is your problem it won't be hard.
Also I would like to point out If it is the motor I wouldn't suggest you get itfrom a junk yard.(or any other electricl parts) as was stated in another post.
You can't return it if it is bad.

Old 04-08-02, 01:03 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
Billdoe how will i know if i have a short is there anything to look for and also when working on anything electrical on any vehicles disconnect the negative part of the battery safety first. Don,

Old 04-08-02, 02:04 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Don,

Look at the links in my signature file for some diagrams and ideas.

Old 04-08-02, 02:25 PM
Billdo49er
Visiting Guest
That's a very good question.
With the battery disconnected you'll need an ohmmeter.Attach one lead to the hot wire and the other lead to ground.If you got a reading other then 0.00 your likely to have a short in the system.
You can try the same method on the motor.Put one lead to pos terminal of motor and the other to the body of motor.
They also sell circuit testers just for finding shorts or opens.

Old 04-08-02, 05:31 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
ok i'll try autozone and see what they say they have i need to get these wipers fixed driving in the rain without wipers is a big no no Don,