Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1988 honda prelude

Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 08:37 AM   #1  
kbjsteel
1988 honda prelude

1988 honda prelude 2.2?.. carb...has 130,000 miles...exhaust problem when you get out of the car smell like exhaust..when idleing see black smoke....runs great when driving gets up and goes runs great...when excellerating you can see a cloud ...has been sucking gas also.. always idled high ..I do my own repairs as in if it comes off I can put one on new..has new alternator..calipers. .rotars..tires..exhaust...both half shafts...hopefuly nothing serious just some sort of ajustment?..... I take it this beyond me and it is time to take to the garage...possible costs? take to dealer?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 10:07 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Likely in need of carburetor rebuilds. These Keihin side drafts are very pesky.

I suggest a competent repair shop handle it with Honda parts or you get a Honda (not generic) manual to handle it yourself.

Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 11:18 AM   #3  
Billdo49er
I would take Joe F's advice.It sounds like it's dumping fuel which will cause a rich mixture.It may be time for a carb rebuild.
But as I am not there to look at it myself I would take it to a shop.It may be something simpler but without seeing it's hard to diagnose on the forum.
I am almost positive it's a bad needle and seat in the carb though.

Search this Thread