Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

front seal?

Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 05:34 PM   #1  
bryan77
front seal?

As I said on the 74 chevy 350 thread I am wreching on the car and replacing some things, but I have had a front seal leak for some time now, I will be the first to admit that I know nothing about the lower half of a motor, but I would like to learn, it is a small leak, is this something I can do myself? Can the motor be left in the car? Do I have to do a complete tear down of the motor to get to it?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 06:02 PM   #2  
Joe_F
If you mean the front timing cover seal, yes the motor stays in the car.

Pick up a shop manual for your application. Now's a good time to change the belts, water pump, hoses and fuel pump. They are all in the way during this repair. If the timing chain is stretched, good time to do that too.

Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 06:16 PM   #3  
bryan77
Joe thanks for the response and forgive me in advance for my knowledge on this, I will do my best to explain,and Tommorow I am buying a manual! The timing belt cover is up high on the motor behing the water pump, I think it looks like it anyway, When i lay underneath the front It leaks on the very bottom, right below the main pulley that runs all the belts, I hope this helps, But I think we are talking about 2 different seals!

Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 06:28 PM   #4  
Billdo49er
Yes he is.What your talking about brian77 is a crank seal.All you need to do is remove harmonic balancer with the proper puller.
Then just pry the old seal out and tap the new one in.

Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 06:36 PM   #5  
HJTF
Front seal

Before you tackle the job, I recommend trying a product called SealLube Seal Expander. It is guaranteed to work or money back. Info at www.newtintl.com

Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 06:43 PM   #6  
bryan77
Bill thanks for sharing the wisdom. Is this seal hard to change? I have heard of the pullers and my parts store lets you rent the tools for free as long as you return them, After the new seal is in does the balancer just push right back on?

Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 07:11 PM   #7  
Billdo49er
They are not hard to replace.
When you put the balancer back on you just push it on and torque bolt down to specs,And your good to go.
But since your doing all the other work you might as well take the timing cover off and replace the chain & gears.
If you do the steps I told you earlier you'll already be at top dead center,and be able to line the gears easily.

Search this Thread