Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

how to fix a power steering pump

Visiting Guest

04-09-02, 04:26 PM   #1  
thekeymaker
how to fix a power steering pump

ok got into the truck today and heard a metal sound which is not good opened up the hood looked down and noticed the power steering pump was moving torwards the fan blade the left side of the pump was loose i beleive is there a way to fix this on my own or have it proffesionally done i know there is supposed to be a puller and special tools for doing this job i'm not sure yet if a bolt just came out or what p.s. the vehicle is a 1988 astro van 4.3 motor Don,

Sponsored Links

04-09-02, 04:45 PM   #2  
you may have a broken bracket that holds the pump on , if it does need the pump replaced you can usually rent a pulley removal and instaler tool.

Visiting Guest

04-09-02, 04:54 PM   #3  
thekeymaker
any ideas as how to fix the broken bracket do i need new bolts etc. thanks for the quick reply Bejay also what do i need to do if the bracket is broke

04-09-02, 05:53 PM   #4  
if a bracket is broken you will either have to order a new one from dealer or find one at salvage yard, welding of bracket usually does not hold up, as far as bolts you usually do not have to replace them unless they are missing are damaged. you really need to take a closer look to see what exactly is wrong first and go from there.

Visiting Guest

04-09-02, 08:20 PM   #5  
Joe_F
I agree with everyone here.

Visiting Guest

04-10-02, 04:51 AM   #6  
thekeymaker
anyone know what size bolts i might need will be crawling under the van later today am hoping the mud will dry up soon and i'll let evreyone know then Don,

Visiting Guest

04-10-02, 06:13 AM   #7  
thekeymaker
ok took a better look at it this morning my bracket is cracked i'll say at least 50% of it is cracked will it be more easier to do it myself or have it taken in it looks like the bracket is a big piece but i'm not sure if it is one whole piece or if it splits up. Don,

Visiting Guest

04-10-02, 08:12 AM   #8  
redneck
Don, had one crack a few years back and had a fitter at work weld it--it still works great, but if you can't find a good welder, get a junk yard part!

Visiting Guest

04-10-02, 08:30 AM   #9  
thekeymaker
Redneck will do but it is also twisted right now pulled more torwards the front of the van its even hard to steer right now anyone know how these things crack so easy Don,

Visiting Guest

04-10-02, 01:20 PM   #10  
Joe_F
Something was damaged in the process of swapping the engine or something got loose. Check for missing hardware/spacers and whatnot. Visit the local GM dealer to be sure you are not missing anything. Their parts catalog will show all the parts needed and the part numbers. If they are reasonable, have the dealer order them. If not, get one for it from a junkyard.

A new bracket shouldn't be more than 40 bucks at a dealer and is probably still available.

Redneck

Visiting Guest

04-10-02, 01:51 PM   #11  
thekeymaker
ok UPDATE supposedly there are TWO Brackets on this Vehicle is at a GM Dealer now Total of Bill is going to be like $590.00 dollars i'm not sure what they need to remove to get to the bracket but it is pricey. Don,

Visiting Guest

04-10-02, 05:08 PM   #12  
Joe_F
Wow, sounds a bit steep.

Did you price it out with a regular shop? What did they tell you at GM?

Visiting Guest

04-10-02, 05:52 PM   #13  
thekeymaker
i know it is a bit steep the bracket i need will be $73.00 i guess theres two of them if i had a 4 cyl. it would be 34 for the bracket i'll let you know more tomorrow i guess they need to take more off to get the bracket on if you want look in your books and let me know Don,

Visiting Guest

04-10-02, 08:41 PM   #14  
Joe_F
Don,

Find out what the part # is of the bracket and we'll go from there. Then I can compare apples and apples.

Sounds like you need a power steering pump and they are charging for that and the labor to do it all.

Visiting Guest

04-11-02, 04:33 AM   #15  
thekeymaker
Joe will do i already e-mailed that gmparts place to see if they have one to and will let you know Don,

Visiting Guest

04-11-02, 12:56 PM   #16  
thekeymaker
10045287 is the part number i was given Joe wow the price at gmparts is a lot cheaper then the price i was give its under 10 bucks at the gm parts direct Don,

Visiting Guest

04-12-02, 07:54 AM   #17  
Joe_F
And how much are they charging you for the same part at the dealer? How does it compare?

Visiting Guest

04-12-02, 10:21 AM   #18  
thekeymaker
ok Joe that previous part # i mentioned is on the bill but there is no bracket listed for the $73.00 we were quoted got the van back but i guess they took out my freon or something with the a/c and since there was a leak they didn't replace the freon i can see why and know that there are laws now that they have to check for leaks which is good but now i have no a/c for the summer time do you know what part usally leaks on these vehicles and how much the part might cost i'll put up more info tonight take care Don,

Visiting Guest

04-12-02, 11:23 AM   #19  
Joe_F
Don,

Whoa. Please punctuate your sentences. Very hard to read. Lol!

That being said, I need more information about what they did, what was done, what parts were used/replaced, etc.

Search this Thread