KIA Brakes

Old 04-09-02, 05:58 PM
motyen69
Visiting Guest
KIA Brakes

I changed the brake pads and rear shoes on a 98 KIA Sephia. I also replaced the rear wheel cylinders and bled the brakes,lr,rr,lf and rf. I feel that I rid the system of any air.There are no leaks but the peddle has to be nearly depressed fully before braking begins.Here is my question,how do you adjust the rear brakes? The Chilton says to adjust after the drum is replaced but it doesn't say how.The adjuster is on top directly below the cylinder.It is different than those on domestic cars.It looks as if the adjusters would set themselves once the cylinders were activated. I've always manualy adjusted the rear brakes on my domestic vehicles after replacing the shoes but i'm stumpted on this one (mother in law's ).Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-02, 08:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the links in my signature file for some ideas.

Old 04-12-02, 08:09 AM
motyen69
Visiting Guest
I removed the drums to figure out how to adjust the brakes. There is a small rubber plug on the top of the back plate,rear shoe side. There is also a hole on top the rear shoe. After the drum is replaced,remove the plug and insert a thin screw driver through the back plate hole and through the hole in the brake shoe.Push the handle of the screw driver towards the front of the car,this will expand the adjuster.
Since I already had the wheels off I rebled the rear brakes again ,using a different method I read on this forum. I always had my helper pump the pedal several times and gently push the pedal down as I opened the bleeder,but this time I opened the bleeder first and had my helper push the pedal gently till it bottomed out,hold it til I closed the bleeder.We did this several times on each brake and I was surprised at the air that was still in the system.The old way I always did it seems to disperse the air in the system before you can bleed it out.
The car has instant braking now and everyone is satisfied,maybe I'll get a meal out of it .lol

Old 04-12-02, 08:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Way to go! Good deal and glad we helped.