89 toyota camry door will not unlock or open

Old 04-10-02, 04:55 AM
COLE9057
Visiting Guest
89 toyota camry door will not unlock or open

i have an 89 toyota camry please help with info on getting door open it will not unlock at all

Old 04-10-02, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Power locks or manual?

Old 04-10-02, 05:47 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
if you have power locks maybe your motor failed on you and it can be expensive to have repaired also did you check your fuse if not do so and please report back here Don,

Old 04-10-02, 09:24 AM
COLE9057
Visiting Guest
89 camry door wont open

power locks all other doors unlock and open

Old 04-10-02, 09:44 AM
COLE9057
Visiting Guest
power locks

i checked the fuses and they are good

Old 04-10-02, 10:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Still not specific enough.

Which door is not working? Have you tried to power the actuator by bringing power to it?

Does the other switch make it work? Do the power locks work at all on that door? All the other doors?

Old 04-10-02, 10:42 AM
COLE9057
Visiting Guest
POWERLOCKS

DRIVER SIDE DOOR WONT OPEN POWER LOCK
SWITCH ON THAT DOOOR WILL ONLY UN LOCK OTHER DOORS BUT WILL NOT LOCK THEM IT WILL NOT OPEN WITH THE KEY EITHER
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY GIVING POWER TO THE ACUTATER
THE SWITCH ON THE OTHER DOOR DOES NOT MAKE
THE DRIVERSIDE WORK EITHER

Old 04-10-02, 12:55 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
i think joe is suggesting to somehow bring power to it to see if it is working maybe a wire got disconnected you might want to get the wiring diagrams and see also do a continuty test Don,

Old 04-10-02, 01:11 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes, Don is correct.

Make sure the switch is plugged in. If it is, ok.

Take the door panel off. Bring power to the actuator. If it works properly, you have a wiring or switch problem. If it doesn't you have a bad actuator.

As Don suggested you'll need a repair manual. You can try some of the links in my signature file for some ideas.

Old 04-10-02, 03:22 PM
COLE9057
Visiting Guest
how do i remove the door panel when the door is stuck shut ?

WHEN I USE THE KEY ON THE DRIVER SIDE THE OTHER DOORS UNLOCK BUT THE DRIVER SIDE STILL WONT OPEN

Old 04-10-02, 04:05 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
i wonder if your latch is shot ? cause you are using the key but something is not releasing the drivers side i think it might be the latch what have you done so far to it as far as removing door panels etc. Don,

Old 04-10-02, 05:03 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Please kill the caps and punctuate your sentences. Very tough to read.

Ah, now I understand. The door is JAMMED shut. That is a different animal than what you were describing earlier .

Can you move the lock button from inside the car by hand? If you can't, it's jammed and that's a major gazorch.

You might bail out and see if a body shop can get it open a bit easier. That or you may have to take the seat out in the driver's side to get access to pull the panel off.

Old 04-15-02, 08:11 PM
desmogi
Visiting Guest
Re: 89 toyota camry door will not unlock or open

Originally posted by COLE9057
i have an 89 toyota camry please help with info on getting door open it will not unlock at all
First check with a local dealer. On some models of approx that year there is a recall for power locks. Because it is a safety recall there is no end date. The problem was that the lock actuators were seized in usually the locked position. If your car also has passive seat belts that may also be under recall. You should have your VIN when you call in order to look the information up.
The dealer should be happy to help. If you don't have power locks then the lock rods may have come loose or the latch stuck.
It is still possible to remove the inside door panel to find the cause of the problem. However the older the car the more likely to have the panel damaged during that operation.
I don't want to sound biased but having worked for dealerships for many years I know that they are capable of letting you know for sure what caused the problem but you may have a check out fee.
I know I sound too formal I just remembered I'm not at work.
Good luck.

Old 04-16-02, 06:06 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Very good advice and surely worth a try !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: