Diff Fluid

Old 04-11-02, 06:20 AM
Dvath
Visiting Guest
Diff Fluid

I am about to do some heavy towing and wanted to prep my truck before hand. I have gone over everything like plugs, wires, trans fluid, oil, coolant, belt, battery etc... I want to take a look at the rear differential fluid as I have had some minor issues there. By the way it is a 99 Dodge Dakota SLT 8 cyl. 5.2 li. Can I simply get underneath and pull the plug or will it come flowing out if I do that? Assuming it does not, what do I do to check the fluid? What should it look like or smell like? I am told it should be brownish/greenish. These trucks also required a diff. additive to reduce sticking/grinding noises and I know that is in there. Would this have caused a color/odor change that I may mistake for a problem? Thanks for your help. By the way, I had a post about a month ago regarding the front end on this truck and the intake gasket manifold. All repairs, ($2,600) were covered by either the dealer or the manufacturer, or the warranty. I was a happy man. Truck has 55K. I know, I know, I should be concerned that a truck this new needed these repairs. I am working on having the family discussions now regarding a GMC or Chevy to replace this guy. :-) Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-02, 08:58 AM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
The rear axle fluid that was put in by the factory should be quite satisfactory for your towing. Visual observation of any oil cannot determine the condition. It takes laboratory analysis. I can't speak for your vehicle, but when ever I checked a rear axle all I did was open the plug and stick my finger in. If I could feel the oil it had enough. Perhaps other's can give further info.

Old 04-11-02, 09:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Since you are towing with the vehicle, it probably should be changed at this point. Use the proper recommended fluid.

Remember towing is considered severe service and the truck should be serviced as such. Now's a good time to change the tranny fluid and oil as well.

On your other issue, it sounds like the advice we provided saved you some money, no ?

Old 04-11-02, 09:36 AM
Dvath
Visiting Guest
Indeed Joe, on my previous post, as you put it, "get on that blower" and start talking to Chrysler. Definitely saved money. Thanks again for all of your help. I will change the recommended fluids.

Old 04-11-02, 09:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Yes, the "blower" is a powerful tool .

That being said, I am glad to hear of a positive outcome there.

Score one for the forum. Wohoo!