rearview mirror falling off AAARRRRGG!!!

Old 04-11-02, 09:12 AM
Angry rearview mirror falling off AAARRRRGG!!!

I've about had it with my truck! I love it, it NEVER breaks down (ok, once, the alternator, in 65000 miles). But it's been driving me crazy trying to get everything fixed that I either messed up or dented. This time, it's not my fault- the rear view mirror went on vacation yesterday while I was working.

First, some imagery.....

Picture this:
1990 C-1500, black, with 2tone tan in middle, longbed, some minor dings due to the fact that my truck WORKS for a living, unlike some of these ug buttley Exploror Sport Tracs and 4-dr supershortbeds that everyone is making.

*no rear bumber (is off of truck, I'm hammering a major dent out of is, 'taint easy)
*no sideview mirrors (trying to get them custom painted, but I'm having to wait for them to dry before adding the stencil for the custom part, takes a while)
* Rear corner near bumber looks uneven b/c when I dented the bumber, it rammed the back of my truck and I had to bondo it. Looks good until you get within 5 feet, and only if I point it out. Not bad for my first time with body work, though!

NOW........

The rearview mirror fell off yesterday, I guess sun-heat melted the glue. I tried this adhesive I bought from Home Depot made by Pro Seal designed specifically for attaching a rear view mirror. I followed the instructions, and the mirror fell off again. YES I did let the adhesive cure for the recommended time of 1 hour (actually, 3 hours, but it didn't matter) Home Depot gladly replaced the $2 kit, and I did it again, and it still fell off a third time (after curing for 16 hours). IMO a LOUSY product. Kudos to Home Depot for trying to help best they could. I guess they're better at helping me if I wanted to install a toilet or dishwasher in my truck.

What do you guys recommend to reattach the mirror? It's the kind that has that metal foot that you remove from the mirror, attach to window, and (after curing) slide the mirror base over the foot and secure by tightening a torx screw.

Is there another option, like having the mirror attached to the roof near the window/roof border? I need something that ain't gonna fall off while I'm doing 70 down I-77 rush hour and scare the pants off of me.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-02, 09:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Hit a glass shop for the repair. They have the right adhesive and can reattach it for you in a jiffy for a couple of bucks.

That being said, Permatex makes the proper adhesive and you must thoroughly clean and prepare the area before putting the new glue on .

Old 04-11-02, 09:47 AM
Good idea- Ihave a friend that works at a glass shop.

Oddly, I gave up on the ProSeal mess, and have a Permatex kit in my truck waiting for me. I'll try that, (hardcore DIY) and resort to the glass shop if I need.

Thanks!!

Old 04-11-02, 10:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ok, let us know.

Old 04-11-02, 02:45 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
yes i'll testify to permatex i used it on my truck and its still holding just follow the directions carefully and take your time and if you do a job like tim taylor then you might be in the emergency room but i doubt it that you are Don,

Old 04-11-02, 07:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe I'm not chiming in too late, but I suggest using a razor blade to scrape the glass clean first, as there may be some residue left from the previous glue, also scrape the metal tab, and use alcohol to wipe it clean afterwards.

Old 04-12-02, 04:26 AM
I used the permatex adhesive last night, and I will say that it grabbed and held tighter much quicker than the other garbage I tried. The real test will come soon. The guy at AutoZone recommended that I use some masking tape to hold the metal pad secure for the next day or so before attaching the mirror. It's aggrivating having almost no rear view (I say almost, lol, b/c I drop down my sun visor and pull one of my CD's out of my CD case, and I can see the reflection of everything behind me, just smaller, so I'm not blind!)

Old 04-19-02, 02:40 PM
Wink good.....

I used the permatex stuff once, and it still fell of (actually it came off in my hand when I adjusted it).

The second time did it, so far it's been 3 days and it's held tight.

What I did this time (which, BTW, is more extreme than the pack says- the pack says attach in 15 mins- yeah right!)

1) scraped, with a new razorblade, the window and metal foot. I also used the blade to scuff the glass and metal a lot to make it rought.

2) cleaned window and foot with alcohol, and let it dry.

3) applied per the directions, but instead of 1 drop of glue in center, I put one in center and a lil dab on the 4 corners.

4) once I stuck it to the windshield and it grabbed, I used tape to tape it fast to the window- I let it stay that way for 48+ hours (versus the 15 min the pack says).

5) put up mirror.

6) DO NOT ADJUST MIRROR UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO RE-GLUE IT B/C IT WILL PROBABLY COME OFF!!! When I adjust the mirror, I am extra soft with it. Maybe more than needed, but I hate not having that mirror.

Funny thing- this is the same truck that I had a wreck in back in January. I also was repairing a spot where I backed into a tree a year ago. Since then I removed the bumper (hammered it out) and bondo-ed a spot on the rear (refer to my old posts about it) and finally finished on Tuesday aft'n. Well, I was gonna put my bumper back on once the paint/clearcoat dried enough to featheredge and buff.

Well, if finished the paint tuesday. I got rearended Wednesday. THE ONLY PART OF MY TRUCK THAT WAS DAMAGED WAS WHERE I HAD JUST FINISHED THE PAINTING THE DAY BEFORE. The guy swerved before he hit me and we did a corner-to-corner impact.

DAMMIT!!!!!!!!

Old 04-19-02, 07:52 PM
Billdo49er
Visiting Guest
The VIN # doesn't have a 666 or a 13 in it does it?LOL

Old 04-22-02, 04:50 AM
come to think of it, I probably do need to check that.

mirror still holding..... as soon as that sucker falls off I'm coming here to rant!!!

Old 04-22-02, 06:11 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol.