At What Temperature Should The Fan Come On?

Old 04-12-02, 04:33 AM
SteverZ
Visiting Guest
Exclamation At What Temperature Should The Fan Come On?

PONTIAC 97 SUNFIRE: I have posted here a number of times in regards to the cooling system of my car.

I recently had a thorough check of my cooling system at the Pontiac dealership. The Technicians said that the system didn't have any problems and was operating fine. They said that the cooling fan comes on at 238 degrees, just as the guage needle comes close to the high point, but, that is part of normal, so there isn't any problem. They also unhooked the temperature gauge and hooked it back up to an independant motor to check it, and they said that my gauge was operating perfectly.

A high gauge reading near hot really does not sound normal to me. I have never seen other people's cars' gauge go almost to the top before the fan comes on.

So my questions are: Is this normal? If not, what temperature should the fan come on? Waiting until 238 degrees when the gauge needle is high sounds off to me.

Thanks.

Old 04-12-02, 07:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Nope. It may very well be normal.

The Saturn service manual states that the gauge may go just about into the red (and does) before the fan kicks on. This is a normal condition according to the manual.

Other cars are the same. If Pontiac says the cooling system is normal and you have subsequent problems, they will likely have to eat the repairs .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: