Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

radiator leak? Please Help

Visiting Guest

04-11-02, 12:58 PM   #1  
Rmen13
radiator leak? Please Help

Hello I have a 90 chevy conversion van. Whenever I pour water in the radiator it goes through and starts to leak from under. I have found where it is leaking from it looks like a whole in the metal. It is coming right out from behind the fan. I was thinking that the hole was to drain the radiator fluids? am i correct or is it a bigger problem? Does anyone know whatthe problem is? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-11-02, 01:41 PM   #2  
xiii13
Not sure on your description of the leak. Are you saying it is leaking from a hole in the bottom of the water pump? If so the water pump is shot and needs to be replaced. Or is it leaking from a hole on the inside of the radiator? If that's the case take the radiator to a radiator repair shop and have them boil the radiator & fix the leak, or get a new radiator.

Visiting Guest

04-11-02, 01:47 PM   #3  
Rmen13
I think the water pump is shot, how do i replace the water pump?

Visiting Guest

04-12-02, 07:53 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Check the links in my signature file for some ideas. Also consider getting a repair manual for your vehicle.

Visiting Guest

04-12-02, 09:49 PM   #5  
Rmen13
I installed the water pump and there isn't any leaks all is good, except I can't put the belt back in place, This is what I did, I opened a bolt that holds the belt in place and its connected to a other part that moves up and down (up to losen the belt, down to close the belt) I have to pull it down so it goes into a pin so i can tighten it but its soo hard to put it in the pin does anyone know if i have to do something for it to go in easy. Thanks

Visiting Guest

04-13-02, 09:49 AM   #6  
Joe_F
What does your repair manual state about this problem.

Your van (although you don't tell us what model or engine size it is) doesn't have a timing belt. It has a chain. You do not remove it when servicing the water pump.

Do you mean the drive belt(s)? Is it a single belt system (one belt drives all) or does it have multiple belts?

Need more vehicle information.

Visiting Guest

04-13-02, 01:19 PM   #7  
Rmen13
yea thats it, the drive belt, sorry its a 5.7 liter, its a chevy conversion van (low top.)

Visiting Guest

04-13-02, 02:29 PM   #8  
Billdo49er
As Joe F asks--Is it a multi function belt or a belt for each component.
If it is a multi-function (serpentine) belt then make sure you install it exactly as picture on cowl shows,otherwise it won't be the correct length.

Visiting Guest

04-13-02, 02:49 PM   #9  
Rmen13
its just one big belt that goes through everything.

Visiting Guest

04-13-02, 04:49 PM   #10  
Rmen13
Well it was a @#$%$ getting the belt on. I had to get some help from my dad, but we got it in and I put everything back and it runs great. Thanks for the help everyone!

Visiting Guest

04-13-02, 08:42 PM   #11  
Joe_F
Good job!

Search this Thread