radiator leak? Please Help

Old 04-11-02, 12:58 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
radiator leak? Please Help

Hello I have a 90 chevy conversion van. Whenever I pour water in the radiator it goes through and starts to leak from under. I have found where it is leaking from it looks like a whole in the metal. It is coming right out from behind the fan. I was thinking that the hole was to drain the radiator fluids? am i correct or is it a bigger problem? Does anyone know whatthe problem is? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-11-02, 01:41 PM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Not sure on your description of the leak. Are you saying it is leaking from a hole in the bottom of the water pump? If so the water pump is shot and needs to be replaced. Or is it leaking from a hole on the inside of the radiator? If that's the case take the radiator to a radiator repair shop and have them boil the radiator & fix the leak, or get a new radiator.

Old 04-11-02, 01:47 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
I think the water pump is shot, how do i replace the water pump?

Old 04-12-02, 07:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the links in my signature file for some ideas. Also consider getting a repair manual for your vehicle.

Old 04-12-02, 09:49 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
I installed the water pump and there isn't any leaks all is good, except I can't put the belt back in place, This is what I did, I opened a bolt that holds the belt in place and its connected to a other part that moves up and down (up to losen the belt, down to close the belt) I have to pull it down so it goes into a pin so i can tighten it but its soo hard to put it in the pin does anyone know if i have to do something for it to go in easy. Thanks

Old 04-13-02, 09:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What does your repair manual state about this problem.

Your van (although you don't tell us what model or engine size it is) doesn't have a timing belt. It has a chain. You do not remove it when servicing the water pump.

Do you mean the drive belt(s)? Is it a single belt system (one belt drives all) or does it have multiple belts?

Need more vehicle information.

Old 04-13-02, 01:19 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
yea thats it, the drive belt, sorry its a 5.7 liter, its a chevy conversion van (low top.)

Old 04-13-02, 02:29 PM
Billdo49er
Visiting Guest
As Joe F asks--Is it a multi function belt or a belt for each component.
If it is a multi-function (serpentine) belt then make sure you install it exactly as picture on cowl shows,otherwise it won't be the correct length.

Old 04-13-02, 02:49 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
its just one big belt that goes through everything.

Old 04-13-02, 04:49 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
Well it was a @#$%$ getting the belt on. I had to get some help from my dad, but we got it in and I put everything back and it runs great. Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 04-13-02, 08:42 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good job!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: