1995 Chevy Monte Carlo Front/Rear Brake Repair

Old 04-11-02, 07:27 PM
HTownsend
Visiting Guest
1995 Chevy Monte Carlo Front/Rear Brake Repair

I need to replace a rotor on the front brakes for this 1995 Monte Carlo, but you have to remove the caliper mounting bracket in order to remove the old rotor. The bracket is held in place by two Torx-head bolts. I cannot get these bolts to loosen. I have hosed them down with WD-40 and a penetrating spray. I have broken two rachets trying to remove these bolts. I have the correct Torx bit (T-60), and, I have left the skin from my knuckles on the entire assembly. What am I doing wrong?
As far as the rear brakes are concerned, I was replacing the rear brake shoes, and needed to look at the one I hadn't started working on so I would install the shoes properly. I removed the drum, and when I started to pry the retaining bar a little, the whole assembly fell off. I need a detailed instruction on how to install the rear brakes. The detailed instructions along with a really good picture would help ( send as an attachment if you wish). The guy down at Autozone has been good about letting me look in the Haynes manual, but I can't really remember all of that stuff, and I need to know I am completing one step properly before moving to another. I don't need to buy the manual. I am just doing my nephew a favor , this isn't even my car!!!
Thanks,
HTownsend

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-02, 10:10 PM
those bolts are often on tight and the use of an impact and a tough torx socket makes the job alot easier, but a long 1/2 inch drive breaker bar should get them broke loose.

Old 04-11-02, 10:14 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Arrow

The caliper bracket bolts are coated with a high strength threadlocker from the factory.

As bejay said, you can use a large breaker bar or an impact wrench to remove them. I

f you don't have these tools, try heating the bolts with a small propane torch. You don't need to get the bolts all that hot...I believe the threadlocker melts at about 450 degrees F. Once the threadlocker is melted, the bolts will come out with a standard length 1/2" drive ratchet.

Old 04-12-02, 07:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. And remember to put the Loctite sealant back!

Old 04-12-02, 10:17 AM
HTownsend
Visiting Guest
1995 Chevy Monte Carlo Front/Rear Brakes

Thanks for the information on removing the front caliper brackets. I still need some information on the rear brakes. Specifically, how to install the shoes. As I mentioned in my first post, I was replacing the rear brake shoes, and needed to look at the one I hadn't started working on, so I would install the shoes properly. I removed the drum and when I started to pry the retaining bar a little, the whole assembly fell off. I need detailed instructions on how to install the rear brakes.

Thanks again,
H. Townsend

Old 04-12-02, 11:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the links in my signature file or hit your parts store/library for a repair manual.