Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

74 chevy 350........I'm back!!!!!lol

Visiting Guest

04-11-02, 08:01 PM   #1  
bryan77
74 chevy 350........I'm back!!!!!lol

OK car buffs heres a ??? that im trying to ponder. Right now as it sits, I will have a new radiator, hoses,t-stat,belts,rebuilt carb, new intake gasket,new valve cover gaskets,new plugs,wires, cap,rotor,oil sending unit,water pump, timing gears and chain,front main crank seal,oil pan gasket. heres my question, And I am tossed right now, I am this far into the car, and out maybe 200$ from stuff listed above. I am thinking of a full rebuild since im this far, but $$$ is tight, if you were in my shoes would you pay to have a shop do the rest, since I've never doen it before, or would you just put it back together with what I already have, p.s it has a little smoke when you first start up so im sure the rings arnt the best. Im not looking for the .....its your car do what you want...just some opinions or maybe some options!

If I were to have a shop take care of the block providing it doesnt need machined, whats the average price for just factory parts, crank, cam, ect, ...............and labor!

Sponsored Links

04-11-02, 09:36 PM   #2  
The Chevy SB

I understand where you are coming from. Yes I am a Professional Mechanic, but I wasn't born that way.

My uncle was more of an influence on me than my Dad, when it came to transportation. His logic was if I can read I can fix it. If I do it myself I will do it better job than the guy, who don't give a squat about me. This man was fearless, he would fix anything.

If I asked him the same question, you asked. He would say, hey the most expenseve part is the labor. Get a book have the heads done and do the easy part yourself. It takes very few special tools to do the short block on a Chevy V8.

If you don't re-ring and change your bearings now, it will be much more expensive later. My Son built his first V8 at 15. I did not help him, to do more than lift heavy parts. He was scared really scared, he had messed around, and had half the kids on the block crashing and burning by fixing their mini bikes.

So here he was looking at a monster of an engine, that was going into his Aunts car. He got the books and starting reading a week before I got all the parts machined. Oh yea he tore it down I did not help him, I just let him use my 3' Snap-on 1/2' breaker bar.

He did a good job, and it's still runing well today, after 11 years and 1 timing chain set at 70,000 miles.

Just think how you will feel after rebuilding your engine. A whole lot safer on the road, proud of yourself for doing the jub right. With the tremendous sales of parts for the small block Chevy, it must be one easy engine to build.

You realy know that you should go through, and fix it all, and stop worring about when is it going to through a rod. After your done and you bring her back to life you will laugh when to see just how easy it is to do an engine job.

Go for it the right way! Marturo

Visiting Guest

04-12-02, 07:40 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with Marturo. That's the way to go.

The valve stem seals are probably the cause of the puffing on start up. That's a Chevy "trademark". Lol.

If you don't rely on the car, lay it up and do all the work now. If you depend on the car, lay it up, find another car for transportation and fix this one as time and money permit.

Do not rush the job or you will do it twice. It also helps not to be pressured to depend on the car. I can leave my Pontiacs apart at any time because I do not use them for anything but pleasure.

Take your time and do it right. If you do a rebuild, pick up a Chevy service manual. See the links in my signature file below for some ideas on that.

Visiting Guest

04-12-02, 01:10 PM   #4  
bryan77
thanks for your opinions, I bought a overhaul book from haynes and have been doing my reading, I would just hate to get the whole motor back together and start it up only to find the ultimate nightmare of forgetting something and have to tear it back apart. When the block goes into the shop, do you reinstall the crank and maybe the cam if they check out ok?

Visiting Guest

04-12-02, 05:36 PM   #5  
Joe_F
I suggest you get the GM manual if you are going to tear into an engine. Leave the Haynes manual on the shelf. Way too generic for this type of repair.

Chevy engines of this vintage are known for valve train woes, so new cam and lifters would be a good idea.

Again it sounds like you are strapped for greenbacks. Do not start and rush to put it back together. All you will have is a pile of parts, nothing more when the $$ runs out. Plan it out. If the motor is out of the car being rebuilt, count it out of service for a few months. Ask yourself if you can live with that. If you depend on the car to run to get around (Ie it's your only car), then you're going about it all wrong IMO.

Is this your primary car? If it is, a short block off the shelf is better. Save the old motor for rebuilding later on when time and funds permit. If it's a weekend project car, go ahead with rebuilding it now. Lay it up and plan it out!

Good luck.

Search this Thread