Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

91 Chevy Caprice

Visiting Guest

04-12-02, 12:39 PM   #1  
caprice
91 Chevy Caprice

I have a 91 Chevy caprice police package. V-8 5.7 litre. My problem is this. Last week the engine started to overheat, I replaced the thermostat, the water pump, timing chain and put new coolant in the radiator. The car ran well for 2 days. Last Monday, I strarted it after gasing it up and the car started poorly. The RPM was very low and the car would shake and would run like it could not get out of its own way. I then shut the car off, restarted it twice and it started and ran well. I took it to work approximately 25 miles, everything was ok, temp a little high but it ran well. When I started it that night after sitting for 7 hours, the same thing happened, I tried the same thing as I did in the morning, but that did not work. I got the car home, but the engine temp twice, hit over 220 degrees and alost overheated. Please let me know what I should check. Also when stepping on the gas when the car was running poorly, after approximately 15 minutes of driving the car then all of a sudden regained power and ran OK, temp was still high but did not overheat.

Last edited by caprice; 04-12-02 at 05:19 PM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-12-02, 01:04 PM   #2  
Joe_F
You may have timing issues causing the car to run hot.

1991 Chevy V8's have a timing chain, not a belt....

That being said, start with my post and links below for some ideas.

You also should have your radiator boiled out by a professional radiator shop. It's likely shot at this point.

Search this Thread