Front Right Brakes

Old 04-12-02, 07:13 PM
jarta2
Visiting Guest
Smile Front Right Brakes

I have a 1981 Chevy half ton with a 305 4bl Last year I replaced all front pads calipers & rotors with new bearings. A few months ago the right side started pulling to onw side & eventually started shaking quite badly. Then this week It seemed to be worse as the weather up. So I replace all the parts again exept for the left rotor, now it is worse. It even smokes now & pulls badly. I bled both sides staring from the right side. Is possible I have second faulty caliper.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-02, 07:26 PM
if it only pulls to one side when you are braking it is likely a bad brake hose i would recomend changing both front brake hoses instead of only changing one of them.
if you notice a vibration or pulsating brake pedal when braking you should start with turning both front rotors to see if the problem goes away.

Old 04-12-02, 07:33 PM
jarta2
Visiting Guest
reply back about brakes

It actually does two things
while I am driving from a stopped to go, the right side seems to be stuck the truck actually has to work to to pick up speed but this does not happen every time. the other thing is it pulls to left hard when the right side is not stuck. It was literally smoking & hot on the right side

Old 04-12-02, 07:42 PM
if its a front wheel that is getting hot and smoking i would still start with brake hoses.

Old 04-12-02, 07:55 PM
jarta2
Visiting Guest
front brakes

Well I guess if that is the only option I have left then that is what I'll have to do because I have already ready replaced the rotor twice on the right side because it was warped from previous over heating because of right side being stuck & shaking. I also replaced the calipers & pads on both sides at the same time. Also when I replaced the right side caliper I could not get fluid to come right away I had to disconnect the brake hose from the caliper to get the fluid to come after a few hard presses on the brake pedal. Am I replacing the brake hoses because they are plugged Or what because they are not leaking I always check for that after installing calipers.

Old 04-12-02, 08:06 PM
the inside of the brake hoses actually starts to swell with age and contamination of the brakefluid to the point that it will actually almost close shut causing whatever pressure that got to the caliper when braking to not bleed off when brakes are released.

Old 04-12-02, 08:30 PM
jarta2
Visiting Guest

I see I was not aware of that. Thank-you very much for explaining that to me. You learn something every day. Once again thank you. Have very nice evening.

Old 04-13-02, 09:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Your problem is surely a bad brake hose because you've stated you had to break it loose above the caliper to get fluid out.

New hoses are cheap and readily available at any parts store for a few bucks. It's likely to solve your problem.

Probably want to change the pads again too. Make sure you have a good steady stream with no air out of all the wheels when you bleed it.