removing cylinder head

Old 04-12-02, 09:05 PM
removing cylinder head

My Chilton's manual doesn't say anything about removing the manifolds in order to remove the cylinder head (I'm trying to replace the head gasket.), but the manifolds and throttle body seem attached to the cylinder head. My car is a Dodge Caravan with a 4 cylinder, 2.5L engine. What's the norm? Thanks.

Israel

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-02, 09:23 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
The intake & exhaust manifolds DO bolt to the cylinder head, but it is not necessary to remove them in order to replace the head gasket.

Old 04-12-02, 11:06 PM
Could you elaborate? How does on change the gasket without removing the manifolds?

Israel

Old 04-13-02, 06:57 AM
Should I remove the cylinder head with the manifolds/throttle body attached?

Old 04-13-02, 07:50 AM
Billdo49er
Visiting Guest
I usually do.It saves time and effort.
Remember to change the head bolts also.

Old 04-13-02, 09:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with all presented here.

You should skip the Chilton and Haynes manual for this extensive of a repair. Way too generic. An alldata.com subscription or factory manual is much better.

That being said, have a look at what's in my signature file below.

Old 04-13-02, 09:43 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
The 2.5L engine uses a steel shim gasket for both the intake manifold & the exhaust manifold. They almost NEVER fail. Remove the cylinder head with the manifolds attached as Joe_F & Billdo49er suggested.

Old 04-14-02, 06:57 PM
spooge031
Visiting Guest
make sure you send the head out and have it pressure checked and checked for cracks;especially around the valve seats, any competent machine shop can do this and if not cracked too badly make the necessary repairs. The 2.2L/2.5L is a VERY easy head to remove, no need to remove accessory belts or A/C compressor just remove the 2 fifteen millimeter bolts at the top of the A/C bracket tnem the 18 millimeter bolt holding the camshaft sprocket (after you put the engine at top dead center) and remove the camshaft sprocket rig up a dowl to keep tension on the belt, and remove the exhaust pipe bolts (may have to cut them) and any coolant hoses and the battery ground cable, you may have a couple of other things attached but thats about all, shouldnt take you more than 4 hours if you are pretty handy and take note of where everything goes, dont forget to bleed the coolant when you are done (an 8 MM allen head plug in the top or side of the head by the thermostat)