Differential Fluid Change

Old 04-14-02, 04:37 PM
jsquared13
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Differential Fluid Change

Please Help -

1991 Toyota Camry -

I just changed my transmission fluid for the first time. I also drained my differential fluid. Unfortunately, I don't know how to refill my differential fluid... Does anyone know how? Can I use standard DexronIII transmission fluid for my differential?

Thank you - Josh

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-02, 08:45 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What does your owner's manual say?

As I recall, it shouldn't have a differential fluid like that. Is it an Alltrac model?

Old 04-15-02, 06:02 AM
jsquared13
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Reply from Josh to Joe F

Joe,

It is not an alltrac model - standard 4 cylinder. The owners manual does not go into the differential. I read in a do-it-yourself manual located at an auto parts store that I should also change the differential fluid. I did so by opening a 10mm allen plug that is directly behind the transmission fluid pan. When I did so a red fluid that appeared to be transmission fluid emptied. Basically, I need to know if there is a place where I can pour new fluid into the differential. Or it is possible that I need to pump in fluid from the drain - if so I could use some quick advice on how to use a pump.

Thank you!

Josh

Old 04-15-02, 06:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A quick call to any Toyota dealer's parts or service department should net you the answer you need.

Might just be another drain.

Check the links in my signature file for some ideas and fluid capacities.

Old 04-15-02, 07:28 AM
jsquared13
Visiting Guest
Differential = Transfer Case?

Joe,

Is it possible that I am confusing terms? Could I have drained the transfer case instead of the differential? Are they the same thing? I think I found a diagram of the transfer case and it looks like what I drained.

Thank you,

Josh

Old 04-15-02, 09:43 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The final drive or "transfer case" is usually part of the transmission....

That being said, most Toyotas have a drain bolt on the tranny pan to drain out the fluid.

You might have drained it a different way, that's all.

What do the links in my signature file have to say about it?