leaking radiator? Need advice.

Old 04-14-02, 07:03 PM
jlc0590
Visiting Guest
leaking radiator? Need advice.

Hi - I have a 1991 BMW 325i. I noticed a "dripping" leak from the underside of the car this afternoon. It appeared to be water. Does this sound like a radiator leak? I was wondering if anyone knew how much this usuallu costs to fix for a BMW. I would like to have some idea before taking it to a shop.
Also, the water isn't gushing out or anything, so should it be safe to drive, or no?
Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-02, 08:34 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It should be dripping green if it's a radiator leak. Or else you have plain water in your cooling system, which is not good.

If you suspect a coolant leak, take it to a good radiator shop. They may be able to repair it and save you some green (money, not antifreeze...lol)

A new replacement unit for a BMW could run easily over 200 bucks for a new unit. Such is the pains of owning such "luxury" cars.

Old Joe stays away from them as they turn into money pits when they get old

Old 04-14-02, 09:44 PM
jlc0590
Visiting Guest
leaking water

No, it's definitely water. So, what could that mean? Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 04-14-02, 09:58 PM
Billdo49er
Visiting Guest
It may be just condensation dripping from the evaporator.
Does it only happen while the A/C is on?
If so it may be normal.

Old 04-15-02, 05:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Bill. Be more descriptive of the issue and the odor/color/location of the leak and we can help.

Old 04-15-02, 07:38 AM
rickwhoo
Visiting Guest
been to a car wash, has it rained lately?

Old 04-15-02, 10:40 AM
jlc0590
Visiting Guest
dripping water

I think you guys are probably right. Because I drove it today and left the air conditioner off. No dripping. But no, it hasn't rained lately or anything. So I don't need to worry if it's just condensation or something?
Thanks for your help.

Old 04-16-02, 06:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If it only "leaks" water near the firewall on the ground with the A/C on, that is a normal condition of no concern.