1985 Ford Ff150 PU

Old 04-15-02, 07:15 AM
Pars
Visiting Guest
1985 Ford Ff150 PU

Runs fine most of the time but sometimes dies and won't start.If I wait about an hour it starts again and seems to be ok. I took it to a 'Gateway auto shop' and they couldn't find anything wrong. Could this be the electronic control unit? I don't think they checked that.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-02, 07:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Could be a number of things. You need to give us more specifics.

Please read the forum's notice at the top of the page for posting guidelines and start by looking at the links in my signature file below.

Old 04-15-02, 07:35 AM
rickwhoo
Visiting Guest
most likely

Old 04-15-02, 02:16 PM
Billdo49er
Visiting Guest
If you have a hershey bar(ignition module) on the side of the distributor I would look into that being your problem.
When they go bad they usually won't work until vehicle cools down.

Old 04-16-02, 06:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If it's a TFI module like Bill says, you might contact Ford on that.

There was a class action settlement for that problem. A phone call wouldn't hurt.

Old 04-16-02, 07:39 AM
Pars
Visiting Guest
Ok, thanks for responding. It is a 1985 ford F150 PU. V8, auto trans, Recent repairs:replaced fuel filter,plug wires,distubutor cap,rotor button. I called Ford and they told me that there was no settlement at this time on the suite.They said that I could bring it in and they could put it on the machine for $59.00.Maybe that would be my best option.The problem seems to be getting worse.Yesterday I parked it while fishing and it wouldn't start a few hours latter.Finally it did start,but died after driving a few miles.Waited about an hour and it started again and I made it home.When this happens it turns over fine,sounds like its starting but doesn't.It's getting gas for sure. Thanks again for the help. If I deside to take it to Ford I'll let you know what they find.

Old 04-16-02, 07:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
There IS a settlement claim for some vehicles of this year. Your vehicle may not be affected.

Knuckles furnished the link a while ago. Did you call Ford HEADQUARTERS for an answer (not the dealer!)?

Old 04-16-02, 08:03 AM
Pars
Visiting Guest
I didn't call headquarters but I'll try to get in touch with them. I do remember getting a letter a while back about joining a class action suite but the wife told me that she pitched it.

Old 04-16-02, 08:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
That was the letter . Fill it out, especially if the module is your problem. Ford will reimburse you for it!