Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Nissan problem

Visiting Guest

04-15-02, 10:08 AM   #1  
jmcl2
Nissan problem

I have a 1986 Nissan extended cab 4x4 truck Z24I engine, 4 cyl, dual coils (4 plugs for intake and 4 plugs for exhaust,electronic fuel injection. I have replaced the distributer cap,spark plugs, plug cables and two new coils as one was not measuring any resistance. My problem is the vehicle will not always start. there is a strong gas smell after cranking so I have ruled out the possibility for lack of gas to the engine. there are power transistors connected to both coils which I presume provide signals for spark to the distributer since this lacks points. Can these be tested and how to see if they maybe mafunctioning? Does anybody have any other diagnostic testing or other possible cause for its failure to start. It comes and goes sometimes running for a few days then out of the blue it just fails to kick over. HELP

Sponsored Links

04-15-02, 05:49 PM   #2  
well you need to check to see if you actually have spark when the vehicle acts up
also should check codes in the computer, which is usually under the passenger seat by switching it to diagnostic mode with the switch on the side of the computer and counting the flashes of the led's also on the side of the computer, buy a manual to help you with the diagnossis a good manual should have a flow chart for a no start condition.

Visiting Guest

04-16-02, 05:53 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Check the links in my signature file for some ideas as well.

Nissan uses this hokey 8 plug system on a 4 cylinder which just makes for pesky problems and expensive tune ups .

Search this Thread