Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

poor gas mileage

Visiting Guest

04-16-02, 12:14 PM   #1  
Eng0077
poor gas mileage

My nephew has a 1995 Eagle Vision TS, 3.5 liter V6, 24 vlv,
214 hp, auto transmission, 155,000 miles. He is only getting
12-13 mpg with this car, which is as bad as my big pickup!
If you have a list of suggestions or things that I can check to find the reason for this poor gas efficiency, please let me know. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-16-02, 12:52 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Need to know some service history for starters on it....

When's the last time it has seen service? A tuneup? Any check engine light on? Tires filled to the specified pressure? Car been in an accident (out of alignment).

Type of driving he does? Is he a leadfoot?

Visiting Guest

04-16-02, 01:32 PM   #3  
Billdo49er
You say your nephew.Is he 17 to around 25?
If so that might be the answer.I know from experience boys of this age have a tendency to lay down on the pedal so to speak.lol
If this isn't your problem then as Joe F states look into a tune up,check tire pressures and alignment.

04-16-02, 07:57 PM   #4  
Any Engine work?

Has this engine gone 155.000 with out a valve job or a cam replacement? I would start by taking a compression check to look for any devation among cylinders.

That's a lot of miles to expect factory milage. A good rebuild would pay it's self off in fuel savings, real quick.

Visiting Guest

04-17-02, 05:51 AM   #5  
Joe_F
I agree with Marturo, but since we are lacking a lot of detail from the original poster, we are all guessing.

We need some more information to help and know with what we are dealing with here.

Marturo: I have 143k on the Olds. No rebuild in the future needed . Just continued TLC. .

Visiting Guest

04-17-02, 12:36 PM   #6  
Eng0077
poor gas mileage

Thanks for all of the suport and ideas as to where to start on the problem I posted a few days ago. I'm currently checking the simple stuff and seting up an appointment at a professional shop for a diagnostic and tune-up. Thanks again to all of you with input!

Visiting Guest

04-18-02, 08:26 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Ok.

Search this Thread