Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Air Conditioning Not Cold

IL

04-16-02, 08:25 PM   #1  
Air Conditioning Not Cold

I had freon (sp?) put in last year and a/c was very cold. I've turned on the a/c a couple times this past week and it's 'okay', but not cold.
Also, I noticed when I used the heater over winter the temperature gauge sometimes went a little above the halfway mark. Would any of this have to do with the thermostat?
My radiator is about 2 yrs old, it has antifreeze, new fuel pump, alternator and head gaskets.
Please advise what I should do. This is a 96 Olds Achieva.

Thanks for all your help!

I RECEIVED SOME REPLIES ASKING ME WHY THE FREON PUT IN> HAVE HAD SEVERAL REPAIRS....INCLUDING A NEW RADIATOR AND A NEW WATER & FUEL PUMP. I'M GUESSING IT WENT ALONG WITH ONE OF THESE WHEN I LOST MY COOLANT, ETC. ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHY IT MAY NOT BE COLD? NO LEAK THAT I CAN SEE. JUST HAD NEW HEAD GASKETS PUT ON A COUPLE MONTHS AGO....WOULD THAT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT?

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOU INPUT!!

Last edited by tahlians; 04-17-02 at 08:09 PM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-16-02, 08:31 PM   #2  
Billdo49er
What was the reason you put freon in last year?
If it was due to a leak was the leak fixed?If not then some may of leaked out since then.
The temp also has to do with ambient temp.It'll only cool to about 20 degrees below ambient.

Visiting Guest

04-17-02, 05:49 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree. You must find the cause of the leak. Adding in R134A (which I hope you added to your vehicle, not R12!) is a stopgap solution if there is (and there likely is) a leak.

That being said, how is the condition of the cooling system? When's the last time it has seen a good and thorough servicing?

Search this Thread