Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mitsubishi Engine Makes Clicking Noise

04-17-02, 06:28 AM   #1  
Mitsubishi Engine Makes Clicking Noise

My son brought his 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse 4 cylinder over and it had a severe clicking sound coming from the top end of the engine. I checked the oil and it was 2 1/2 quarts low. I put in oil to see if the clicking would stop, no luck. I flushed the engine, no luck. I then took off the valve cover hoping to see the problem. Well, the twin overhead cam threw me and I don't know where to start looking for the problem.

Any ideas on finding the cause of the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

04-17-02, 06:41 AM   #2  
May be just one or more valves out of adjustment, but running it with less than 50% of the oil in it makes guys like me REAL happy.

Could also be injector noise if you're not used to hearing the injectors ticking as the engine runs. Best bet is to get hold of a good repair manual (Haynes, Chilton) or an Alldata subscription (www.alldata.com) and run through the valve adjustment procedures. Can't remember if the valves in that beast are adjustable or use shims. Did you happen to notice if there were adjusters above the valves?

Visiting Guest

04-17-02, 06:47 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with TowGuy.

We've got trouble in River City Houston if we are losing 2.5 quarts of oil between changes. Normal usage is no more than a quart every 1000 miles, and that's a bit much....

The clicking you hear is the lack of oil being pumped up due to it being low.

Are there leaks or does the engine burn oil? How many miles on it?

04-17-02, 12:56 PM   #4  
I don't think that the engine is burning that much oil and there is no leaks. I think that he hasn't been faithfull to my preaching of an oil change every 3,000 miles.

I have a manual and I'll check the valve adjustment stuff, etc. A friend said that the cam bearings may have spun. That seems like a possibility but it doesn't seem to me like a source for the noise. Another friend said to run the engine with new oil and the clicking or tapping noise will go away. What do you think?
Thanks,

John

PS. I find the manuals that I get whether it's Chiltons or Hayes is some what vague on some topics. Is there a source that is more specific on the vehicle that you might own?

Visiting Guest

04-17-02, 01:00 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Yes, the factory service manual is the best for the vehicle. Costs more and it's worth it. You can't seriously fix a vehicle with a 15 dollar manual that's not put out by the car company that makes the car .

That being said, you can as suggested earlier try the links and posts in my signature file.

Try changing the oil and seeing what happens. It might clear up. However, there is a reason the vehicle is using the oil between changes. You shouldn't have to add oil between oil changes on a well maintained motor.

Change the oil and filter and monitor how many miles it takes to lose enough oil where you need to add.

That being said, your friend's suggestion is plausible, but don't go there yet, that's a decent amount of work if you are wrong.

Search this Thread