Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ignition trouble

Visiting Guest

04-17-02, 11:37 AM   #1  
jarta2
ignition trouble

I have a1984 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 350 turbo master engine 4bbl o/d. Yesterday went to install a oil guage & had to remove the distributor to remove old sending unit.Stupid me I didn't check to see where the rotor was facing & threw the truck out of time. I had it running this morning but it quit, no spark. So I changed distributors & it started arching in the distributor & was smoking down by the steering column, possible wiring damage. What other damage may have occured & should I continue.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-17-02, 12:26 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Throwing the timing off the way you did has nothing to do with wires under the column burning like that. Something likely caused an overheating condition.

Has this truck been modified or has it had a ton of hands in it before? Might be some hokey wiring jobs that have been done in the past.

Visiting Guest

04-17-02, 03:10 PM   #3  
jarta2
True there has been other hands on but I would be more inclined to say that it was the fuse box that was smoking. I disconnected the battery immediately Now I'm lost as to whether I should continue working on it. And definately I heard arching in distributor area.

Visiting Guest

04-17-02, 06:24 PM   #4  
Gix
check to make sure you didnt pinch any wires under the dist cap or the dist for that matter

Visiting Guest

04-18-02, 05:56 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Gix gives you some good ideas. Might have pinched the hot wire.

What "repairs" and "modifications" have been done to this machine?

Visiting Guest

04-18-02, 01:29 PM   #6  
jarta2

I don't think any modifications have been done since I bought the truck 4 years ago. Some one changed the engine to a Target Master 350. In the process of this they damaged the wiring to all the sending units including the electric choke, which my mechanic repaired half assed,fed off another live wire. But all in all everything was working greatt until I pulled the distributor to install a fitting to install an oil guage. That is when I threw the timing out & there was no spark. So I took the guts, except the pick-up coil out of another distributor to have the engine shut down again.Just like someone turned the key off. So back to putting the old guts back into the distributor with the good pick-up coil so I thought. That is when I heard the arching & saw smoke coming from the fuse box area at the firewall. I breifly checked this afternoon & found a wire to the distibutor disconnected & could not see any thing wrong with the fusebox. But that was just a brief look. I didn't go to too much bother with it. I believe I will probably go to an outo wrecker & pick a complete distributor assemby.

Thanks for replying back.

Visiting Guest

04-18-02, 05:28 PM   #7  
Joe_F
This gives some more detail.

The hokey wiring job is likely to blame. There is no reason to fool with the wires unless someone did a modification or did something they shouldn't have .

That being said, I would go back to the "half assed" guy you had fix it and make him do the job right eating part of the labor for shoddy work.

Visiting Guest

04-18-02, 05:41 PM   #8  
jarta2
`reply

After watching my half assed mechaic work on my vehicle & including my I decide that I could do better than him &n he remarked on that to me. So I quit going to him & try to fix it myself. lol

Thank you for your help & comments have a nice evening!!

Visiting Guest

04-19-02, 05:40 AM   #9  
Joe_F
I suggest then you start with a wiring diagram as you likely have a maze of misrouted and poorly terminated wires on your hands.

Get a hold of a GM service manual or an Alldata.com subscription. It will help you track it all down.

You can try the links in my signature file too.

Good luck. When you do fix it, bring it back to the mechanic and show him your work. Then ask him if he'd like a call from the Better Business Bureau for charging you for shoddy repairs by shoe stringing it together like that .

Search this Thread