powersteering

Old 04-14-02, 07:46 PM
brnt999
Visiting Guest
powersteering

As I was driving my 1985 Chrysler Lebaron 2.2l 4 cylinder 5speed transmission home yesterday the steering became progressively stiffer. Actually I thought I was getting a flat tire.I got home and opened my hood and there was a major oil leak. I checked the power steering resevoir and it was empty so I imagine I either blew a hose or the pump.I crawled under the car to see if i could see anything but the power steering pump is hidden by front end.I don't think I have the patience or desire to fix this problem myself so I am thinking about taking it to a shop.My first question is if i drive my car to the shop will I do more damage?Second question is the car is only worth a thousand bucks --is this an expensive repair/My last question is can I drive this car without power steering --as manual steering.Thirty years ago most cars were manual steering.

Old 04-14-02, 08:24 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A car like this in MINT condition is worth a grand . These things were bombs from the get go.

That being said, you may have a bad rack and pinion as well. You probably blew a hose though.

See what the shop tells you. Anything over 300 or 400 bucks is cause to do it yourself or pitch the "nice reliant automobile" (like the NYS lottery jingle) for something better that this...

Old 04-14-02, 09:14 PM
brnt999
Visiting Guest
hit curb

You have me worried when you say rack and pinion steering could be bad.Truth of the matter is about 4 or 5 days ago I was driving at night and while turning a corner I hit a curb.There was no noticeable immediate problems--nothing bent or wobbly and steering and handling was not affected.But i am worried now that i bent something and took 4 or 5 days for the seal or whatever to go.

Old 04-15-02, 05:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
See what the shop says it is and the estimate they give you on it. Go from there.

Old 04-17-02, 05:46 PM
brnt999
Visiting Guest
now manual steering

I took the car around the block and while the steering is stiffer than it was, its really not that bad. Its a light car. Is there any reason i couldnt just drive this car without the power steering?

Old 04-18-02, 03:20 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
no lube to pump

If you drive it with no fluid in the pump it will frezze up and when that happens you will break a belt this belt might run other things such as alternator ac etc.One other problem is the undue stress you will put on the steering system like the rag joint these parts were made to move without lots of torque.

Old 04-18-02, 05:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
True. However, the original poster has not gotten back to us, so we do not know the details .

Old 04-18-02, 05:54 AM
brnt999
Visiting Guest
power to manual steering

So is there some way I can disable the power steering pump--turn it off---so that it does not seize up?

Old 04-18-02, 05:57 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No. You cannot and should not bypass the power steering.

What has the shop told you about the cost of repairs for your problem?

Add fluid and drive it there if the distance between your home and the shop is short. If not, worth the money to have it towed there. How severe of a leak are we talking about?

Old 04-18-02, 06:59 AM
brnt999
Visiting Guest
ps pump

I havent taken it to the shop yet but I will and let you know what they have to say.I was just weighing all of my options and I guess driving it the way it is is not an option.

Old 04-18-02, 08:15 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No it's not, and it's quite dangerous. The car is made to work with the power steering in place.

It may be something simple. Worth an estimate to see what it is.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: