Rounded Spark Plug

Old 04-19-02, 12:35 PM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
Question Rounded Spark Plug

Hello all from Alaska, first time visitor to the forum.

I have a 1990 Isuzu Trooper, 2.8L, manual Tran.

My problem is, I just bought it and when I went to change plugs
(looks like originals w/108k on them) I found the plug in #5 cylinder is rounded. The 5/8" nut part of the plug where the socket fits to loosen and tighten the plug is rounded. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can remove this plug without removing the cylinder head?!! Thanks in advance for replies.

Old 04-19-02, 01:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Grip the sucker with a locking pliers at the base of the plug and rotate out. It should loosen up. Crack off the porcelain if you have to so you can get down into it.

If you have to, hammer into the plug and make a groove for a screwdriver or something you can leverage and it should turn out.

Old 04-19-02, 02:18 PM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
Rounded Spark Plug

Joe,
Thanks for the advise. I don't know if the locking pliers will work as the plug hole is recessed into the head somewhat. I am leary of hammering a slot for a screwdriver. Won't it punch a hole though the plug causing material to fall into the cylinder?

Old 04-19-02, 03:27 PM
motyen69
Visiting Guest
Are you using a 6 point socket? I don't see how it could round off using a 6 point socket. If it did try breaking the porcelain off and drive an easy out into the center of the plug. Use the proper size wrench and turn to the left til it screws out.Good luck.

Old 04-19-02, 03:38 PM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
Rounded Spark Plug

Ya, I am using a 6 pt. I can't figure out how the heck it got rounded either. Totally blows me away.

As with Joe's suggestion of hammering it and using a screw driver, wouldn't drilling the center and using an easy-out risk debris (porcelain) getting into the cylinder. I thought about this method, just worried about debris. Also thought about JB welding a socket to the plug. What do you think?

Old 04-19-02, 04:10 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Get a pair of needle nose locking pliers in there (I just got a set from Sears for 10 bucks on sale) and that should be narrow enough to get it in there. Then try turning. All you need to do is jar it loose enough to turn by hand.

The porcelain of the plug is only on top. The inside is metal. I don' think you'll force the pieces apart on the plug. That being said, if you JB weld a socket to it, it might come out, sure. But you'll ruin a socket as well. At least if it is Craftsman you can send it back for a free replacement. .

Old 04-19-02, 04:53 PM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
Rounded Spark Plug

I will attempt everything you have mentioned and as a last resort, I will try the socket and JB weld. Yes it is a Craftsman socket I will be using. Isn't Craftsman great!!

I will post my results on Monday when I get back to work. Thanks.

Old 04-19-02, 05:23 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the porcelin on a plug goes all the way through the plug and you may get porcelin or the center electrode into the cylinder if you try punching out the center of the plug and try using an easyout , however you can usually break off the porcelin flush with the metal portion of the plug to allow better access depending on what brand plug some will break easily some requires some twisting back and forth to get the center electrode broke into.
then track down your local mac ,snap-on or matco dealer and buy a socket specially made to remove a rounded off nut they work great. i dont think craftsman makes one but they might.
this plug may be seized into the head and may break on you anyway when trying to remove.

Old 04-19-02, 05:42 PM
motyen69
Visiting Guest
I would hit the metal part of the plug with a punch and hammer , just to give it a good jolt ,if its seized this will help free it up.Soak it down with some Blaster,the best penetrating oil I have ever used.

Old 04-19-02, 07:47 PM
Billdo49er
Visiting Guest
There are special sockets that are used for removing round locking lug nuts.These also work great for rounded plugs.

Old 04-19-02, 08:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plug

If you can find it there a product called Tri-Flow will work to release the corosion that this tapered seat plug is wedged into.

I would rather waste an inexpenseve socket by glueing it on than take a chance of getting porcelean down into my engine.

Find a snap-on truck and pay alot if you plan on doing this for a living LOL, or JB weld the socket on it and forget it.

I like your idea of glueing it on, simple cheap and no mess.

Old 04-20-02, 12:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Just don't let it glue itself to the head as well, lol! I like the idea, and if it doesn't work, no great loss...onto plan B. I would try not to break it though...I just dealt with that situation myself recently. Ceramic fell into the cylinder through the center of the plug. Not good.

Old 04-20-02, 05:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
How much room do you have around the plug to get a tool in there?

Might want to tap on a 12pt socket and then see if you can get it loose enough to spin out. Once out, you can break it in pieces (outside the engine of course) to get it out and save the socket .

I still think the locking pliers or similar tool on it will loosen it if it's really drilled in there good.

Let us know. I have not encountered this problem in any car! Lol.

You might also look up a past post on someone we helped that had a STUCK spark plug in a 2.8 liter 1986 Cherokee. It was a similar situation. Might be worth a look through the archives.

I do not remember the poster's name as it has been sometime since he has been here.

Old 04-20-02, 06:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Another thought...If you could find a 19/32" socket (may take a lot of looking, but they do exist). You could probably drive it down onto the plug to get a grip on it and get it out with a ratchet..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: