Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

hole in transmission

Visiting Guest

04-22-02, 10:12 AM   #1  
truckingpapaw
hole in transmission

I have A 96 dodge avenger with automatic trans, my son ran over a rock and put a hole in the trans casing just behind the pan of the trans. the hole is in the aluminum case and is about 2 inches by 2 inches,and i can see the gears in the trany,witch look a-ok.can this hole be patched with JB Weld,or fixed without spending hundreds for a new trany??

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-22-02, 12:44 PM   #2  
Joe_F
You can try JB Weld, but it may not hold.

In such case, pitch it for a used or rebuilt case. What kind of rock did he run over, geez ?

Super Moderator

CANADA

04-22-02, 06:21 PM   #3  
Patching aluminum

truckingpapaw:
JB Weld two part epoxy shoud seal the hole.
What would work is if you cut a piece of light aluminum about 3/4 inch larger all around than the hole to use as a patch.
The aluminum has to be ABSOLUTELY clean!
Lightly sand both aluminum surfaces to scuff it up and remove oxides, then clean thoroughly to remove all traces of oil. Use something like acetone or laquer thinner to finish up cleaning. If you use a clean white rag or paper towel with acetone, it will show when it's clean.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

MA

04-25-02, 09:37 AM   #4  
Re: hole in transmission

Originally posted by truckingpapaw
I have A 96 dodge avenger with automatic trans, my son ran over a rock and put a hole in the trans casing just behind the pan of the trans. the hole is in the aluminum case and is about 2 inches by 2 inches,and i can see the gears in the trany,witch look a-ok.can this hole be patched with JB Weld,or fixed without spending hundreds for a new trany??
Nothing to lose except a few hours time for fixing it and some time on the side of the road waiting for a tow, if the casing should split and toss gears. Wait - if this is front wheel drive, a tranny disintegrating might be fatal (not that a rear wheel drive tranny would be much better, though).... As for repairing it, the rebuilder would not likely get a new housing, so the whole thing is replaced at once - no reusing of the gears, etc. Hopefully the fluid is clean. Me, I'd try cleaning and patching it *and* changing the fluid.

Oh yeah! Do you have the missing pieces? Did they go into the tranny, or fall on the roadside?

If this is being driven by someone who needs reliable transportation, you might want to think twice for them to use this tranny.

Search this Thread