1994 Mercury Sable

Old 04-22-02, 10:25 AM
Frosty
Visiting Guest
1994 Mercury Sable

OK I found a car I'm probably going to buy. It belongs to a relative. A '94 Mercury Sable, 60K miles, and regularly schedule maintenance.

I've been reading up on this car. And I'm not liking what I'm seeing. The tranny is my main concern. From all I've read online they are known for going bad early on this car.

Along with other things, I plan to change the tranny fluid & filter after I buy it. Do any of you guys know if any after market things exist to improve life/reliability of this tranny? Aside from not having a lead foot off from the stop lights.

Also, I've looked up Amsoil air filters and from the SAE data they blow out K&N filters. To me they seem the best deal out there. Any thoughts on Amsoil products...any users out there?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-02, 10:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Unless you get it for free or next to nothing, pass. It is a heap. And so is the tranny. TowGuy can attest to many of them winding up on his hook.

Fords are notoriously silly to work on and very unenjoyable all around. Lol. Besides the fact it's a butt ugly car to be driving around in.

As for the oil and stuff, sticking a K&N and Amsoil in this car would be a collosal waste of money. Sticking a K&N in most cars is a collosal waste of money with questionable benefit.

My .02

Old 04-22-02, 05:06 PM
Frosty
Visiting Guest
Unstable Sable

Thanks for your help Joe. I am going to end up buying it, only because I'm getting it for about a $1,000.00 (next to nothing for me). I'll have to treat her good I guess. Btw, how hard is it to change a Head Gasket?

Thank you.

Old 04-22-02, 07:38 PM
John Dalrymple
Visiting Guest
Your right to ask how hard it is to replace the head gaskets. This engine is notorious for blown head gaskets. My father-in-law had one. Replaced the head gaskets twice in three years. I agree with Joe $100.00 is too much to pay for this car.

Old 04-22-02, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
Piece of junk would be too kind a description. Do a search and you'll find plenty of info in the archives. My brother's (used to be my Dad's) crapped the tranny at about 40k and I recently had to replace timing cover gasket for water leak, less than 60k (retail for that fix around $400 I would guess). Other parts that failed prematurely: motor mounts and a/c compressor. Also known head gasket blower as noted; luckily haven't had that failure yet. I've taken Sables and Tauruses (Tauri?) to the crusher that had engines that ran fine, but the trannies were gone and nobody, not even the bottom-feeding chop-shop guys, wanted them.
I could be wrong, but my recollection is the oem part that fails is the planetary gear? The replacement part is more reliable, but my favorite tranny shop says he routinely runs those trannies slightly overfilled with fluid to ensure plenty of lubrication.

Old 04-22-02, 10:10 PM
the 3.8 liter is known for headgasket problems but the 3.0 liter does not have that problem.
if its been well maintained it will likely be a decent car and you will probably get alot more miles out of it before it needs any major repair work.
as far as the transmission going bad early, sometimes they do but ford isnt the only company that had that problem.

Old 04-24-02, 04:29 AM
Group Moderator
I would wager the Sable/Taurus trannies of that era have the highest premature failure rate of any comparable make/model. It's a running joke with our favorite tranny shop; "Hey, here's something you haven't seen in a while - a Sable with a bad tranny, LOL". 'Nuff said.

Old 04-24-02, 06:33 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
For a grand you might want to take a gamble Frosty. But I say that with caution.

My .02 are that Fords are problematic, especially this one. Service and parts are often more complex than they have to be.

I say take it for a grand if it's in good shape, drive it until it starts to give you prolbems and then pitch it for something better.

Worth a grand but not much more than that.

Old 04-24-02, 10:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've seen people virtually try to give those cars away, as noone will pay anything for them. the resale is not good, no matter what the blue book says. I would not like to be put in the position where I had to depend on one of these cars. I have a friend who owns one, and hasn't had the tranny failure yet...(since he's owned it), but motor mounts are regular failure and expensive...also A/C probs, electrical probs, oil leakage, etc...etc...etc...

Old 04-25-02, 05:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I guess since I own six cars, transportation isn't a problem. Plenty of backup and then there's public transit if needed .

Lol.