black smoke

Old 04-22-02, 02:05 PM
martymatty
Visiting Guest
black smoke

i know i got to much fuel going to jets, what i need to know is there a sensor on fuel line. it is a 4.3 thottle body injectors. high mileage, getting 7or8 to gal. i was hoping it's something i can handle myself.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-02, 03:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
As I recall, you are the guy with the van with the blowby/PCV issue.

An engine in poor mechanical condition will not deliver great fuel economy. A van such as this unladen probably delivers 15 mpg at BEST. If you hit anything over double digits with all this mileage (and loaded), you're hitting a home run.

There is no "sensor" in the fuel line. Fuel economy is determined by driving habits, vehicle condition and maintenance/wear on the engine.

An engine in poor shape will not run right or deliver good fuel economy.

Rectify the other problems first!

Old 04-22-02, 03:40 PM
martymatty
Visiting Guest
Angry black smoke

yes it si the same person. i still believe i can do something about my fuel problems. i know engine in bad shape but still runs readly good or well . i beleive i can keep her another year.than thats it . i will be very happy with the van by then. got it used put 100'000 on it with little expence. hate to give up on her.

Old 04-22-02, 04:07 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
If you are blowing black smoke(running rich) you may have a faulty fuel pressure regulator. You need to check the fuel pressure and go from there. I believe that the regulator is on the throttle body itself.

Good Luck

Old 04-23-02, 05:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes, it is a replaceable diaphragm that is part of the upper fuel metering body. Any parts store will have a diagphragm kit.

But you haven't told us much about maintenance that has been done to the truck. Again, if the truck has not seen a good servicing in a while, you cannot expect it to get decent fuel economy.

You might go to the EPA's website and see what the truck was originally rated for as far as gas mileage. You're not likely to do much better than that, and even if you come remotely close, that's great considering the wear on the engine and the fact you are driving it loaded (which will decrease your fuel economy).

Old 04-23-02, 04:01 PM
martymatty
Visiting Guest
black smoke

in four years never been to a shop. plugs and wires changed by myself. oil changes done here also. no emission test at inspection needed here yet . i am a bit backwards today. to JoeF

Old 04-23-02, 06:25 PM
Im not saying this is your solution,but after reading your other post and all your oil problems and mileage,do you think maybe the o2 sensor might be oil soaked?

Old 04-24-02, 04:12 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Davo, I have never seen an O2 sensor cause this kind of complaint. If the ECM saw a rich or lean condition by looking at the O2 sensor it could very well change the pulse width of the injector but, it is limited the amount that it can make it vary.

At some point in time you have to check the basics...

Old 04-24-02, 06:21 PM
Im not going to explain why ambient air is important to an o2 sensor or why i disagree with you on fuel trim Chad,I was making a suggestion on something to try.I have seen vehicles with no starts because the plugs were fouled(high co)because of o2 sensors that read good on a scan tool but were plugged on ambient air(false readings)wont set a code.

Old 04-28-02, 03:58 AM
martymatty
Visiting Guest
black smoke

it has a new twist now. ride along it will miss "cough" if you will, than go on for 30 mins. and cough again.

Old 04-28-02, 04:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Gotta start with the basics, or it will soak you quickly.

Start with the links and posts in my signature file. As Chad said, what is the fuel pressure? What about the other basics?

Remember we are far away from the vehicle sitting at a computer so you have to be our eyes and ears!

Old 04-28-02, 03:10 PM
rickwhoo
Visiting Guest
i have seen alot of bad O2 sensors cause alot of smoke.