Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

No Power

Visiting Guest

04-22-02, 02:21 PM   #1  
BIGLAC
No Power

HI, I HAVE A 83 CADILLAC COUPE DEVILLE WITH A TH4100 ENGINE THROTTLE BODY INJECTION. I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT'S PERFORMANCE IT SEEMS NOT TO HAVE ANY POWER WHEN I PRESS THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL, I CAN HEAR THE ENGINE REV. UP BUT WHEN I TAKE MY FOOT OFF THE PEDAL I GOES(SAME IN ALL GEARS) ALSO I HAVE NOTICED THAT WHEN THIS HAPPEN THE BRAKE LIGHT COMES ON AND BLACK SMOKE COMES OUT OF THE TAIL PIPE. I THOUGHT MAYBE IT WAS A TUNE-UP SO I REPLACED THE SPARK PLUGS, DISTRIBUTOR CAP, AND THE ROTOR, AND ALSO CHECKED THE FUEL FILTER, AND IT STILL DOES THE SMAE THANG COULD YOU HELP ME IF YOU CAN, AND ALSO CHECKED THE BRAKES THEY ARE ALSO GOOD AND BRAKE FLUID IS O.K. TOO.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-22-02, 03:01 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Please refrain from typing in caps, it's shouting and we can hear you.

You should pull the diagnostic codes from the computer on this car to see what if any codes exist. Start there. Check Knuckles website at www.batauto.com for the procedure. Generally, you press OFF and WARMER on the climate control and the codes are displayed there.

These engines are wicked heaps and not worth 5 cents. Don't spend a lot of green on them. You will have one heavy boat anchor. Great looking car, crappy engine. Doesn't get any worse than this...

Mileage of the car? Check for any vacuum lines off or out of whack? These engines suffer from MULTIPLE problems such as cam issues, head gaskets and the like. Poor design

Also, if the engine speeds up when you step on the pedal and the car doesn't go, it sounds like a slipping transmisison. Check your fluid level and condition.

Visiting Guest

04-22-02, 04:30 PM   #3  
BIGLAC
Yes, ihave already checked the diagnostic for codes it came out with three different codes leading to the TPS sensor i thought that this might be the problem but , i have been getting these smae codes for about two years i have just been erasing the codes from the computer to buy me some more, time. I have a haynes repair book about the car but it doesn't really tell too much about the TPS and I Tried calling the local auto parts store to ask them what the sensor should be adjusted to but the said that they didn't know.(but i think don't even think that they checked) maybe the sensor finally went out. I also thought about the transmission and already checked it and everything's o.k. but the thing about this is that it drive fine until the brake light comes on and then these problems happen. I'm just trying to fix it so I can sell it and get an El Dorado( not too crazy about FWD).

Visiting Guest

04-22-02, 07:00 PM   #4  
telorvehc2000
converter is plugged

Visiting Guest

04-23-02, 05:44 AM   #5  
Joe_F
That is a possibility, but something CAUSES it to get stuffed up. If you don't rectify it, you will stuff and ruin another converter.

What codes are you getting now?

Search this Thread