Visiting Guest
Clutch Play - locking up shifter on Honda

Honda Accord
4 Cylinder
Manual Transmission
Mileage 93,000
No previous clutch or transmission work or problems

Hi.

The other day I noticed a difference in the way the clutch pedal moved. It definitely seemed more loose, and perhaps it's travel was more limited. The gear shift worked normally and the power transmission after shifting seemed fine.

The car was driven this morning and the clutch pedal seemed perhaps even more loose , but the car ran fine and the gear shifter worked normally.

The car was driven late in the afternoon, and it started to become difficult to shift gears, the shifter offered a lot of reistance, but the running of the car seemed unaffected - good power and no slippage or roaring.

Transmission fluid has been changed at recommended intervals. I hadn't checked the clutch fluid regularly. The car is garaged and there has never been any evidence of fluid leakage of any kind. It takes DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid. Since the fluid is clear and the reservoir so small, I couldn't tell what the level was. The owners manual has an obscure diagram of where the max and min levels are which I had a hard time relating to little plastic reservoir. I looked inside and didn't see any fluid. There is a little aperture in the center with some little insert or float. I added approx a couple tablespoons of fluid and it soon became visible above the little aperture. Whether this was good or bad I don't know, but I think it did still have fluid in it. I turned on the car and tried to shift the gears but the shifter wouldn't budge. After warming up for a minute it was possible to shift with difficulty, but I would have to say either the fluid wasn't a problem or maybe I didn't add enough, though you guys are probably laughing because it's probably obvious to you it has nothing to do with the problem. I thought I'd mention it just to be complete. The clarity of the clutch fluid level checking system isn't very user friendly if I might express an opinion.

Initially I thought the clutch pedal just needed an adjustment, but now I'm wondering whether it might not need a new clutch. The first Honda I bought new needed 2 clutch replacements by 100,000 miles, while this one has never had any work needed on it.

I would appreciate an idea of whether I am facing a minor or major repair if this is possible. Enlightenment would be appreciated as soon as possible. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-02, 10:31 PM
with that many miles it likely does need a new clutch assembly, but it sounds as if you have a fluid leak which caused the fluid level to get low and probably got air in the system, possible slave cylinder leaking, it doesnt take much of a leak to get the small reservoir to run low and may be slow enough of a leak that it will not be very visible.

Old 04-23-02, 05:26 AM
sounds like a leak

From my past experience it sounds like you let the clutch master cylinder run low with caused air to enter the system.I would fill up system and bleed it.Sometimes you will not see the leak because it will leak inside the firewall and brake fluid seems to evaporate.
It will go into the inside of the car and into the carpet were the rod goes thru to the engine compartment check it out rub your hand there and smell for fluid.
If you smell fluid replace clutch Cyl.
I had this problem on a Toyota,

Old 04-23-02, 05:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree with both of these guys.

Old 04-23-02, 07:09 AM
bhrost
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. I did check where the rod goes thru to the clutch pedal. It did leave a coating of fluid on my finger when I checked on it, so it appears you guys were on to the problem. Just out of curiosity, what do you think the cost of a whole clutch replacement would average? It's been a while since I had the last one done on my old Honda.

Old 04-23-02, 10:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You're looking at about 300 to 500 to replace the clutch depending on the shop and their labor and the required parts involved.

Old 04-23-02, 01:23 PM
cost

yep Joe is right on about 500 bucks should do it that is with a new throw out bearing and pressure plate.

Old 04-23-02, 01:27 PM
before I forget

Before I would replace the clutch replace the master cylinder a very easy job.Make sure you bleed the system.
The reason I say this is because I have seen clutches go up to 120.000 miles unless you ride them.so you might have another 50 or so thousand miles.

Old 04-23-02, 03:43 PM
rickwhoo
Visiting Guest
dont touch the clutch assembly until you have to. it could last
200,000 thousand miles if treated properly.