Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1988 Dodge Caravan

Visiting Guest

04-22-02, 09:04 PM   #1  
bob farmlett
1988 Dodge Caravan

I just rebuilt my dodge caravan 3.0 lieter efi engine, but durring the process a friend came over to help and pulled the distributor before I had a chance to locate the position of the rotor at tdc and mark it for reassembly. Now the Haynes book says under removal and instalition --mark the location befor removal HA !! and says nothing about reinstalition if you move the engine. However the Chilton book says if you move the engine than set the rotor to plug 1 terminal at tdc --- however plug 1 is not where plug 1's electrode is located it is accutualy routed in the distributor cap over between terminals 2 and 4 and i am having a hard time seting the rotor to the center of the electrode ?? Does anyone know where the the correct location is for the rotor

bob f

Sponsored Links

04-22-02, 10:23 PM   #2  
well first you need to get #1 cylinder on tdc on the compression stroke, then since it has a crossfire style cap you actually can take the cap off turn it upside down and see where #1 terminal crosses over to the electrode on the opposite side you want the rotor to be pointing toward the electrode not the plugwire terminal, when you set the timing disconnect the coolant sensor and set to specs if you cannot turn the distributer far enough to get into specs you may have to repull the distributer and either retard or advance one tooth.

Search this Thread