Nissan Air - Clutch of Bearings?

Old 04-23-02, 12:44 PM
Roy Carver
Visiting Guest
Nissan Air - Clutch or Bearings?

Hi,

I have a 1995 Nissan Quest with a V6 and 150,000 miles. Recently started having problems with the AC. Anytime the AC is engaged, it screeches really loud. In fact so loud that we get people staring from great distances. The AC still works and blows cold. I was assuming that this was the clutch and was going to look into changing it if it could be done by a do-it-yourselfer. After coming to this forum I am second guessing and wondering if it could be bearings inside the compressor and not the clutch.

(I know that this issue was discussed a few posts ago but the question is specifically if there is a way to differentiate between bearings and clutch on the AC.)

1. Is there a way to detemine which is bad?

2. Can the clutch be removed and inspected and reinstalled if good?

3. Is the clutch typically a very expensive item?

4. Any special tools required? Pullers? Etc?

5. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
Roy

Last edited by Roy Carver; 04-23-02 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-23-02, 01:16 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Pull off the belt. Can you feel if there is play in the shaft of the compressor?

Removal and replacement could be a DIY type item depending on how they have it set up and what method of retention they use. It may not be able to be serviced in the vehicle.

Check the links in my signature file below for some ideas as well. Make sure there are no bulletins or reported problems at Alldata.com

A clutch could run about half the price of a rebuilt compressor. Depends on the source and the price.

Also has the belt been changed recently? How aobut the idler or tensioner pulleys? How do they look. Does it squeak all the time?

Old 04-23-02, 04:36 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Just a stupid question, but is the belt tight? What are the High and low side pressures? Has anyone recently charged the system and possibly overcharged it?

Good luck

Old 04-23-02, 05:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Belt squeal?

If this happens only when there is a load on the compressor ,I would put a new belt on if the belt were at least a year old.

Best case, the squeal will go away and you will have a new belt. Worst case you have a new belt, and now can start looking for the real problem.

Marturo

Old 04-23-02, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Roy Carver:
Must be A/C season out there.
Were getting our second snow storm in one week.

Question 1: If pulley section is loose - clutch bearings bad
If front clutch plate loose - compressor bearings bad.
Question 2: Yes
Question 3: ?
Question 4: Maybe yes. Special bolt or puller
Question 5: http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/AC.html#clutch

Old 04-23-02, 07:05 PM
TECHMAN
Visiting Guest
DONT FORGET TO LOOK AT THE GAP OF THE A/C CLUCTH ASS. IF IT MAKE NOISE ONLY WHEN THE COMP. FIRST KICKS IN THE GAP AM BE TO WIDE ARE OIL ON THE DISC. IF GAP TO WIDW THE CLUCTH IS WORN AND NEED TO BE REPLACED, IF IT IS OIL THE COMP AND CLUCTH NEEDS REPLACED. --GOOD LUCK---DAVE---

Old 04-24-02, 05:03 AM
Roy Carver
Visiting Guest
Great Info

Thanks for all the great info. I will definitely check the belt this weekend and proably go ahead and purchase a new one. I called the local autozone and it's $92 for a clutch assembly. I will explore all suggestions this weekend.

Great site and resource.

Old 04-24-02, 06:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. Cleveland, TN.

The site and headquarters I believe for Maytag (was Magic Chef).

I have an old 1968 Magic Chef wall oven in my parent's house that I am going to repair shortly. I had to deal with the folks at Maytag.

I know they are in Cleveland and Milan TN!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: