Cooling fluid leak...

Old 04-24-02, 10:06 AM
rs_petty
Visiting Guest
Cooling fluid leak...

is driving me crazy. 99 Lumina 3.1l. Loses the amount between the cold and hot over a couple day period. Looked at every hose connection - no signs of leak. Checked reservoir tank - no signs of leak. Checked oil - no sign of contamination. Where else to look?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-02, 10:22 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Could have a bad reservior/radiator cap allowing it to escape.

Check with www.alldata.com for any known bulletins on this problem.

Old 04-24-02, 06:33 PM
I fixed alot of these with upper and lower intake gaskets.If you are under warranty take it back,If not and you have relatively low miles ask for a goodwill warranty.You will pay some but not all,Good Luck

Old 05-10-02, 06:16 AM
rs_petty
Visiting Guest
Found It!

Lower radiator hose was going bad - pin hole underneath. Didn't show up until I cleaned the hoses well and checked it hot before the coolant evaporated. Quick question. Normally, I'd prefer to go ahead and do a complete flush and replace thermostat and radiator cap. However, I'm thinking with it only 2 1/2 years old to just drain, replace the hoses and refill. What is the opinion on this repair?

Old 05-10-02, 09:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Do a complete job to avoid headaches.

Old 05-13-02, 09:14 AM
rs_petty
Visiting Guest
Repair not successful

Decided to just repair the problem and have a pressure check done. Immediately after repair I was still losing fluid. Pressure check by auto shop indicates what davo said, intake manifold gaskets. This must be an exhorbitantly difficult job based on the quote. How hard can this be?

Old 05-13-02, 10:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Did you check autolibrary.org? How about Alldata?

Old 05-14-02, 05:05 AM
rs_petty
Visiting Guest
Joe,

Checked those sites, but weren't much help. I pulled out the repair manual last night to read through the procedures. This is hard - too hard for this DIY'er. At least on the wife's car that needs to be back running ASAP. Why in the world would anyone design an engine that you have to take apart the valve train to replace a gasket? I give up on cars!

Old 05-14-02, 05:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Usually the 3.1 is pretty decent with maintenance as it is an old school V6.

All front wheel drive cars are generally headaches to work on. Give me old rear wheel drive anyday. Less problems and the things that go wrong are relatively minor in scope & repair compared to things on FWD .

Old 05-15-02, 08:01 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Just my 2 cents I have had a '91 3.1 v6 for many years--first my wifes car now my work car. It has leaked coolent from one place or another for years--I recently got it tight. But, these this are terrible for coolent leaks. After I got all the hoses replaced(a job in itself) (also had a threaded connection into the intake manifold corrode off), I found the rad cap was bad. Also, on these motors you will develop an oil leak under the throttle body--it is only a matter of time. I have fixed 5 different 3.1's--same leak same place. It seems at one time--pre '91 atleast--these motors had a distributor--now there is just a blank. The hold down clamp is still there. You must remove the throttle body and associated hoses/fuel lines remove the hold down clamp and pull out the shaft--there is still a gear that runs off the cam--replace the O ring on the shaft and silicone the top of the shaft-put it back together and the problem is fixed!! Anyone one with a 3.1 that leaks oil--check here first!!