Having Trouble With Fuel Sys (ruff Idle , Power Loss

Old 04-24-02, 10:28 AM
SaDow
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Having Trouble With Fuel Sys (ruff Idle , Power Loss

I HAVE A 1989 IROC-Z WITH THE STANDERS 350 V-8 , FULL INJ, IT'S GOT ABOUT 160 thou. MILS ON IT . WITH IN A YR & 1/2 I HAVE REPLACED THE STARTER, WATER PUMP, FUEL PUMP,ALT, A COUPLE OF OTHER THINGS. THE PROBLEM IS THAT 1 MY IDLE STAY'S HIGH AFTER I GET OF THE FREE WAY , AND WILL NOT GO DOWN UNTILL I STOP ROLLING . WHEN I DO STOP IT ACT LIKE IT'S HAVING TROUBLE RUNNING (ALMOST LIKE THE FIRING SEQ IS SCREWED UP) , BUT IT DOES NOT BACK FIRE. IT STARTED SHUDDERING WHEN I AM STOPPED , AND I CAN FILL AN UN EVEN POWER OUT PUT WHEN I GO UP HILLS ( IT'S LIKE I AM PUSHING ON THE GAS AND LETTING OFF AS I GO UP HILLS, BUT I AM NOT). OH WHEN I SHUT THE CAR OFF , I CAN'T START IT RIGHT AWAY, I HAVE TO LET IT SET FOR A COUPLE OF MIN. IF YOU NEED TO KNOW ANY THING ELSE LET ME KNOW. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

Last edited by SaDow; 04-24-02 at 07:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-02, 11:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Kill the caps please.

What engine is in the vehicle? 305 or 350?

Start with my posts/links in my signature file below and my post "the Basics" and tell us what you find.

Old 04-24-02, 04:16 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Did you say 160 miles on it?????

Have you checked the firing order (18436572)

What is the Fuel pressure?

Old 04-25-02, 07:41 AM
Sounds more like a timing problem to me. Might want to check that first. Don't forget to unplug the ECU timing control wire when you use your timing light.
Are you getting a check engine light?

Old 04-26-02, 02:13 AM
After thinking more about your symptoms, it is more likely to be EGR valve or solenoid problems. If you have a high idle after decelleration and then idles rough, sounds more like EGR. Other symptoms are overheating and surges at highway speeds. Check the links in Joe F's signature, if you can't find how to check it, write back to me. Be careful, the EGR valve gets very hot, very quickly.