93 Blazer cooling System

Old 04-25-02, 11:58 AM
danlmurphy
Visiting Guest
Angry 93 Blazer cooling System

The water pump on my 93 S10 Blazer was leaking. I replaced it and the blazer started overheating. I have changed the thermostat and had the radiator cleaned at a shop. It still overheats. It wa not overheating before I changed the water pump. Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-02, 12:54 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Might have gotten a defective water pump. Good posibility.

Old 04-25-02, 03:01 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Water pump and radiator flow are fairly easy to check. Water pump:Remove the upper radiator hose and let the truck run, you should see water flowing when the tstat opens. If it doesn't flow remove the tstat and try again..

Do you have the belts routed the right way(causing the wpump to spin in the wrong direction). You should be able to check this by removing the tstat and letting the truck run(water should be flowing out of the hole where the tstat was), if it comes out of the radiator hose instead the flow is wrong..

Did you get the right water pump? I am not sure, but It makes me scatch my head and wonder. If your truck has a serpentine belt setup, which it should the water pump may spin in the reverse of one designed for a non serpentine belt setup...

Does that make sense? One year may be a difference on that truck. Also, If the way GM changed the routing of the belt could affect the rotation of the impeller...

Do you have the old waterpump to check it against?

Old 04-25-02, 07:07 PM
danlmurphy
Visiting Guest
Check of waterpump

Chadtoolio,
I removed the upper hose from the radiator and started the engine. Water came from the radiator not from the thermostat. The Serpentine belt is on right. I made a sketch before I removed it. I cheched it again. It looks like the waterpump is turning the wrong way. It is from a chain auto parts place not Chevy. I will check with them tomorrow. I have the old pump. Iguess I could remove the back and check the empellar on each.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 04-26-02, 05:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It could be defective or boxed incorrectly as well. It does happen.

Choose a good quality pump such as an A-1 Cardone rebuilt, Airtex or TRW unit.

A Delco unit is also quite reasonably priced for this application. Any Delco jobber should stock it or be able to get it rather quickly.

Old 04-26-02, 06:00 AM
danlmurphy
Visiting Guest
Blazer Cooling System

I was wrong last night (it was late). I must not have let the engine warmup enough for the thermostat to open. I redid the test this morning and after stopping the engine before the temp went full scale and restarting in a few min. the warter started to flow out the hose from the thermostat. any help?
Dan

Old 04-26-02, 07:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It cannot overheat immediately. It takes time for it to overheat.

Barring the fact the gauge might be off, run the truck without the stat. If you do not overheat, you got a defective stat.

Old 04-26-02, 12:48 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Ok, under what conditions does the truck overheat?

While sitting still(like at stop lights)

Freeway driving?

How many minutes after the truck is started does it take to overheat?

Old 04-26-02, 12:58 PM
danlmurphy
Visiting Guest
93 blazer overheating

chadtoolio,
My blazer overheats in my carport within a few min. after I start it. I have not been able to drive it since I changed the waterpump.