startsand stalls

Old 04-25-02, 12:18 PM
Matt Barcellona
Visiting Guest
startsand stalls

1987 Buick Lesabre 3.8 v-6fi. When the car is cold it will start up,run for a few minutes,then stall out.Then it will start up again and stall out over and over again.Before this problem occurred I had to push the gas pedal down to start which I thought was unnecessary with a fuel injection.Any connection?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-02, 12:53 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start by checking the links in my signature file for some ideas and tell us what you find. Too vague of a description of the problem here.

Old 04-25-02, 03:23 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Are you a hard or easy driver, Especially if you are an easy one, I would use a product that GM dealers carry called "top engine clean" in the pour can. When attached to a vaccum line from the intake manifold and the car running it will suck down the chemical(you will have to rev it while you do this to keep the engine from stalling out). When the can is half empty, let it stall out and let it sit for 15-20 minutes and restart and run the suck the rest of the chemical through. You will see lots of smoke(the more the better).

The whole reason for doing this is because a cold engine needs more fuel for it to run properly and over time your engine builds up carbon deposits that act like charcoal. When you turn over the engine for the first time when cold the fuel from the injectors enters the combustion chambers, soaks into the carbon deposits and your mixture isn't quite rich enough for it to run properly.

Using this product can greatly reduce the carbon deposits.

This stuff only costs $7.50 and works very well..

Good luck...

Old 04-25-02, 07:00 PM
rickwhoo
Visiting Guest
if the car can idle tap on the mass air flow sensor and see if it affects the the way it runs.

Old 04-26-02, 12:51 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
How does this car run when warmed up? Any check engine lights on? What is the fuel pressure?

Old 04-27-02, 04:10 PM
Matt Barcellona
Visiting Guest
stalls out

There are no check engine lights on and when it warms up it don't idle.It will start up and stall.I can't check the fuel pressure,Ihave no guage.

Old 04-27-02, 07:34 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Autozone is one retailer with a free tool rental program. They can rent you a fuel pressure gauge.