Problem with THM400 transmission

Old 04-25-02, 07:59 PM
edp1959
Visiting Guest
Problem with THM400 transmission

I just rebuilt my THM400 transmission and installed it in my vehicle. I followed each step in the Hayes manual. When I crank the vehicle fluid comes out the vent tube. The manual says too much fluid will cause this. I know this is not the case. It started coming out when I put about 3 quarts in. Any suggestions on what the problem is and how do I fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-02, 05:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Who did the THM400 rebuild? You may have installed something in backward or incorrectly.

What manual did you use to guide you in the transmission rebuild?

Old 04-26-02, 07:05 AM
edp1959
Visiting Guest
THM400

Thanks for the reply,

The rebuild was done by me. I used the Hayes technical manual for this transmission. When I first noticed this problem I took it down again and double checked everything and could not find anything wrong. Do you have any suggestions as to where I should specifically look.

Thanks

Old 04-26-02, 07:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Do not use a Haynes manual for this type of repair. Only use the factory service manual.

The Haynes manual is WAAAAY too generic for this type of repair. Only the factory manual will suffice as it goes into the most detail of ALL the needed operations.

It sounds like a defective part or something wrong in the assembly for it to do that.