'90 Voyager - Replacing CV Joint & Shaft

Old 04-25-02, 09:58 PM
pyramidcc40
Visiting Guest
Question '90 Voyager - Replacing CV Joint & Shaft

I need to replace my CV Joint and Shaft, on a 1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager. It's a 3.3 Ltr. V6 without anti-lock brakes, on the passenger side (right side). I can't afford to have a mechanic do it, and need to find out how to do it myself. I'm a first timer, other than regular maintinance, and I have a pretty good idea where everything is. I basically need step-by-step instructions. Can someone HELP ME!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-02, 12:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Jack the right front side up by the frame, letting the wheel hang. Take wheel off and remove the axle nut at the center of the hub....32mm if I remember right. Remove the bolt that holds the lower ball joint in the knuckle. Get a looong strong prybar and pry the lower control arm down enough to get the ball joint stud out of the knuckle. Now you can remove the axle unit and replace it with a new unit. The strut, knuckle, brake assy. will all push out of the way as one unit. Have a helper to align the ball joint stud up for you while you pry when you put it back together...it's a pain to try to do on your own.

Old 04-26-02, 01:12 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
The 3.3L Voyager was available with 2 different right side axles in 1990. One is a long "one piece" axle, the other is a two piece design. The 2 piece is more common & easier to replace.

I suggest you get a Haynes manual for procedures & torque specs.

Buy, rent, or borrow a good torque wrench for reassembly.

Old 04-26-02, 06:52 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Yes, there were multiple axle suppliers to Chrysler, GKN and Saginaw are two of them.

You must know what you have before going forward. I agree with Knuckles.

The Chrysler parts books typically have illustrations and identifying features in the parts book. Might be worth a stop at the dealer to get that printout.

Old 04-26-02, 03:11 PM
pyramidcc40
Visiting Guest
'90 Pymouoth Grand Voyager CV Joint replacement

Thanks for all the replies, got it done thanks again

Old 10-18-11, 01:32 PM
94 plymouth voyager se

dos that go for a 94 se

Old 10-19-11, 05:22 AM
Group Moderator
Likely the same or pretty close. You can probably find info in the repair infor section at autozone.com.