Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'91 Hyundai Sonata front suspension

MO

04-27-02, 10:44 AM   #1  
'91 Hyundai Sonata front suspension

Please help! My Hyundai is wearing out front tires more quickly than it should, and the diagnosis is that the lower control arm componennts are in need of replacement. I have found the ball joints to be available at local parts stores, and replacement seems pretty straightforward. Control arm bushings, however, do not seem to be available. My question now is, can they only be had from a dealer, or are they only available as part of an entire new control arm? This has been a really good car to my family, and I would hate to have to discard it just because of a lack of replaceable parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Chris

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-27-02, 07:44 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Check with Moog or TRW (both owned by Federal Mogul) who are the largest suppliers of aftermarket parts in this front end sector.

If they are dealer only items, I cannot see them being that expensive. The dealer has them in stock or can order them within a few days time.

Should be no sweat. Hyundai has online parts catalogs through their www.hyundaiusa.com website as I recall.

You should be able to get a price from a local dealer and the part # online.

As for the quality of a Hyundai, if you like it, great, but they are nothing to write home about, so be careful how you spend your green to repair them.

Visiting Guest

04-28-02, 10:47 AM   #3  
albochella
Hey Cris! It is I albochella, I own a '91 Exel that has given me a lot of good miles punctuated by long periods on the jackstands... At some point I realized that I am usually better off to order my parts from a dealer, My nearest one is 200 miles away but they have an 800 #. Often I have found the factory cheaper and the quality always higher. They UPS my parts direct to me and it usually doesn't take long!

Visiting Guest

04-28-02, 03:04 PM   #4  
rickwhoo
you dont get quality from a hyundai those years.

Visiting Guest

04-29-02, 11:55 AM   #5  
albochella
OUCH!!!

Visiting Guest

04-29-02, 12:52 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Unfortunately, it is quite true, but everyone buys what works for them . You'll see my .02 on a lot of posts about a specific vehicle, but I will still try to help the person out. .

Yes, the parts are reasonable from Hyundai, so compare the aftermarket and the OE parts before buying for the best value.

Hyundai models of this vintage are very lackluster and erratic at best, some people have good luck. On the whole, they are troublesome vehicles of this vintage.

MO

04-30-02, 04:38 PM   #7  
Thanks, guys, for all the input. Rick, I can see where you're coming from as to the "write-home-ability" of these cars. But my experience more closely mirrors albochella's - long service interrupted by seemingly long periods out-of-service. Really, all the car has asked for is a new timing belt, which I replaced before it failed at over 100,000 miles instead of the recommended 60,000. I really can't complain.
My plan now is to call my nearest dealer (only 81 miles, albo!) and check on availability. As for tools, if you don't have an Auto Zone store near you, you'll wish you did. Besides quality parts at reasonable prices, they offer free testing of electric/electronic components and free tool rental. And no, I don't work at one!
Again, thanks for the help. I'll post again with new developments. - Chris

Visiting Guest

05-01-02, 08:23 AM   #8  
albochella
me again, albochella - I do have an Auto-Zone as nearby as anything else about 60 mi. round trip, ( feels further than that in these Arkansas hills ) the last part I ordered from them without checking around was a remanufactured distributor for the Exel, for approx. $400. It was just the basic unit , no wiring harness connector , dust cover, rotor, cap, etc. Also all of the bolt holes on the unit had been so severely sandblasted that I had to retap them before I could put it together. A new distributor from the dealer (complete with all parts and fully assembled was approx. $220 !!!! What's up with that??? So I always check around first . As for my HunDIE it's still on the jackstands... The only reason I keep trying to fix it is I got it for free ! Hey Joe F if I want to bore you with my latest Hyundai woes should I start a new thread or go back to 3/3/02 ?

Visiting Guest

05-01-02, 08:51 AM   #9  
Joe_F
Keep all posts on the same vehicle together in the same thread so the information is all together.

Aye, a car on stands that is always under repair is not good, even if it is free . Unless it is a rare classic or something really great .

As for pricing around, yes, it definitely is worthwhile to check prices and shop around on larger ticket items like a distributor.

MO

05-01-02, 03:49 PM   #10  
albochella & Joe F - True, 'tis always wise to shop around for best value. Albo's story has not been my experience, however. Sorry to hear your tale, albochella. I hope it hasn't turned you off completely to them. That, or that you have found a store that treats you better. More later; dinner's ready! - Chris

Search this Thread