Mercedes 190E A/C charge/retrofit

Old 04-27-02, 01:22 PM
TimPhillips
Visiting Guest
Question Mercedes 190E A/C charge/retrofit

Could anyone help with: how I am supposed to retrofit the A/C in my 1987 Mercedes 190E 2.9L 4cyl. The compressor does not run when turned on and I figure it is probably too low on freon to run. The charge valve seems to be on the compressor itself. There is hardly any room to hook the coupler to chrge the system to begin with. If I were to put a retrofit valve on the compressor to charge with new R134A, there would be no room at all to hook the coupler because there is an electrical connection right in the way. If I were to unhook the connection, the compressor would not run to be able to charge it up. The other A/C valve is in full view on the driver side fender well just under the hood. Has anyone out there tried to do this themselves or does everyone think that this is a dealer only fix? Please help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-02, 06:56 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
There are a variety of special offset retrofit fittings for cars such as yours.

That being said, I suggest you post your question at Aircondition.com . While I've performed many retrofits, I have no experience with your particular model. The folks at AC.com should be able to provide you with info specific to your car, as well as general retrofit info.