Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Spray Waxes?

MA

04-27-02, 05:28 PM   #1  
Spray Waxes?

Hi,
My question concerns spray type waxes.I own a travel trailer,that
has painted aluminum siding.I need to wash and wax it.In the past I've used a product by starbrite called "Protector".It's a spray on wax basically.It is easy and fast to appy,but a bit expensive!I am afraid a paste or liquid wax would be tough to work with,with all the grooves and seams in the siding?I need something easy,yet that will give good protection too.
I know this is an automotive colum,but I figured there may be some people who have some sugestions on what to use.The trailer is 30Ft long,so its a big area to wax! :-)
Thanks, Charlie

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-27-02, 07:32 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Wax in the crevices won't ruin anything, it will just look ugly.

I would use a Carnuba paste type wax. Any brand should be fine.

Those spray waxes give a quick shine, but I don't believe they have the longevity that a paste or liquid wax can give.

04-27-02, 08:10 PM   #3  
Sounds silly?

I have used this on all things outdoors, without yellowing. Flows well dries clear and last a little over a year. Mop & GLO or the same type of floor polymer protectant. M & G worked best for me.

I once even used it on a un waxable 1965 blue Buick Special. Looked like new for a year. Find a shady spot, and cool day & apply in a back and forth motion, it self levels and dries into a water proof protector that finds all those little cracks and scratches.

04-27-02, 09:36 PM   #4  
Marturo thank you for the great info. Is it ok with rubber?

OM

04-29-02, 07:02 PM   #5  
Seems to protect safely

It seems to be kind on most surfaces, that I have tried it on. I have used it on the rubber trim, so I would have to say yes, it is ok on rubber.

Fot tires the product called black magic, seems to be a long time winner for protection.

04-29-02, 08:08 PM   #6  
Marturo thank you for your input. Its greatly appreciated. As I have experienced that some waxes are not friendly to rubber parts of the car. How about on the glass part of the car is Mop & Glo good to use?

OM

04-29-02, 11:16 PM   #7  
Glass protection

Glass is an area that I would use wax, due to the fact that any polymer protecant will leave a coating that could interfear with the friction caused by the wipers.

I learned a trick over in the islands in the Pacific. They would no mater what the color use a car wax and leave it in the white without removing it.

It seems that in Cuba this has been done to many of the 50s cars and Trucks that are still there. I have heard from cuban friends, that these Cars are as brite and colorful as the day they were sold. All by using the white part of the wax to reflect and preserve the Color from sun fade.

So I think a good carnuba wax like Mothers, or Harley wax would keep your glass in good shape. Don't forget to wax the clean inside glass as well. Then a soft cloth will keep the inside clean without all that smeary buildup.

Of course for storage I would leave the wax un wiped on any of the glass to protect & keep the UV rays out of the interior.

When it comes time to remove the wax or Mop & Glo that is a job for Simple Green, in fact I use it 50/50 to clean before putting any thing on as a protector. Then use it straight for removal after a year or so.

05-13-02, 07:04 AM   #8  
Marturo thanks for another great info. Sorry for the late reply. Is turtle wax of a good quality?

OM

Search this Thread