chevy van oil pressure guage

Old 04-25-02, 04:05 PM
hal5525
Visiting Guest
Question chevy van oil pressure guage

does anyone know if there is an after mkt oil pressure guage that is compatible with the present gauges on a 90 chevy van? mine is flaky and you have to replace the whole gauge cluster if part is bought from chevy. I know I could convert to a mechanical one but it would be easier if I could use the present sensor and wiring. changing the existing sensor did not help.
thanks for any help

Old 04-25-02, 04:31 PM
martymatty
Visiting Guest
chevy van gauges

my gauge hah peg out also let me know if you find a anwser.thank you

Old 04-26-02, 12:04 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Are you sure the gauge itself is bad?

Sender problems are much more common, not to mention cheaper and easier to fix.

If you can give us a little more info on your van (model & engine size) we can provide specific diagnostic procedures.

Old 04-26-02, 05:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree, the sender is more than likely the problem. A couple of bucks at any parts store.

Old 04-26-02, 10:09 AM
hal5525
Visiting Guest
oil ressure gauge chevy van

I also thought most likly cause would be a faulty sendor but as I said in my original post I did change the sender and that did not fix the problem. also the sender sends a signal to the fuel pump and will shut it down if there is insuficiant pressure.

Old 04-26-02, 10:11 AM
hal5525
Visiting Guest
oil pressure

van is a 1990 g20 3/4 ton sportvan 350 engine.
thanks

Old 04-26-02, 11:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the oil pressure with a reliable hand-held (not the dash) gauge (any parts store can rent you one) and tell us how off the dash gauge is.

That will rule out a bad dash gauge for sure.

Old 04-26-02, 11:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Don,

See what's on the part before you start to add unnecessary sealant. If it has the thread compound on there, you should be good to go.

You are not screwing into any cooling jackets with a knock sensor. You should be able to just remove the old one and replace it with the new one.

Old 04-26-02, 06:52 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Arrow

*Some* GM engines use a separate oil pressure switch for the fuel pump. Pull the dog house & look for an oil pressure switch near the distributor. If one is present, go under the truck & look for a second oil pressure switch/sender above the oil filter. Let us know what you find. Also let us know which one you replaced.

There are 3 TSBs that deal w/ erratic oil pressure gauge operation & they all call for replacement of the oil pressure sender.

Old 04-27-02, 12:22 PM
hal5525
Visiting Guest
I looked for a second oil pressure sending unit near the oil filter and could not see one. the one I changed is the one near the distributer.
thanks for reply

Old 04-27-02, 07:41 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The sender is shaped like a liberty bell and as I recall, there is only one for the vehicle.

If you still get an erratic gauge reading, rule out the dash gauge by checking the real pressure with a hand held gauge. Any parts store with a tool rental program (Autozone for one) can rent it to you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: